Biggest Massacre?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Biggest Massacre?

Post by Teaos »

I was talking to a friend and we were talking about the lose of life in Galactic Battle and wars. How with planetary bombardment and close to 100% casualties when a ship blows up in heated battle the lose of life is far higher than what we have nowadays.

In the past lose of life in war was a fact of life, the huge loss of life in WWI and WWII were shocking, but to an extent they were expected, Generals went into battle expecting X number of casualties.

Looking at modern wars the lose of life is dramatically less. America has lost a few thousand lives in Afghanistan, a war thats stretched a decade. And every life lost is seen as a tragedy that should have been avoided.

Yet in the future we see it reversing, casualties are again seen as more of a fact of life. Sad but unavoidable.

So we got talking and were trying to think what is the single biggest lose of life we see in trek?

My thinking was when species 8472 blew up several Cubes along with that Borg planet. Probably Billions if not maybe trillions dead.

He though the Dominion war primarily because he seems to think cubes and planets run off only a few dozen drones...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Biggest Massacre?

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I would agree with you, the Species 8472 assault against the Borg. We know that Borg cubes have thousands, some more than a hundred-thousands drones. And First Contact, where Earth had been assimilated, had a population of 9 billion Borg, suggesting that Borg maintain large numbers of drones. So the destruction of entire worlds, and numerous cubes would have been a tremendous loss of life.

The Dominion seemed more interested in conquest rather than annihilation, only killing those they felt necessary, when a world's populace was rebellious - the Teplan Blight inflicted upon the Teplans; The massacre on Cardassia Prime only begun after the uprising began. No doubt the Dominion had no qualms about killing millions of solids or more, but they seemed to prefer subjugation.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think a Cube could have tens or hundreds of thousands if they had just assimilated something big, but day to day opperations I think would be quite a bit less...

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What makes you think that?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why would you need 10,000 drones on a ship? We've seen them run with far less, having 10,000 drones on a single cube would seem rather wasteful.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

8472 easily takes this as I see it. Blowing up whole worlds is a hard measure to beat. This being followed closely by the 800 million of Cardassia.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Why would you need 10,000 drones on a ship?
Why wouldn't you?
We've seen them run with far less,
When?

And if so, how do you know that the small number isn't unusually low, rather than the large number being unusually high?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With drones, I would expect large numbers for crew rather then small numbers. It would mean per cube you've transported more drones for work thus requiring fewer cubes to ''gather'' your new ''materials''.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:Why would you need 10,000 drones on a ship? We've seen them run with far less, having 10,000 drones on a single cube would seem rather wasteful.
A cube is 27 cubic kilometers (just over 3 km on a side). 10,000 drones means one per 2.7 million cubic meters, or a cube with sides over 1 football field long.

Here are some other numbers for comparison:
ISS: ~60 cubic meters per person
theoretical rocket: 20 cubic meters per person
Rocketpunk-manifesto

Nimitz: ~60 cubic meters per person
(look for Nimitz)

Ticonderoga cruiser: 75 m^3 per person
Arleigh Burke DD: ~95 m^3 per person
Nimitz CFV: ~87 m^3 per person
Navy ships

(lots of useful reading)
Atomic Rockets

So I'd say that Borg vessels could easily fit in 27 million drones, or 1 drone per 1000 cubic meters.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem is that you have to carry a far bigger supply of fuel and other stuff just to make it in space. These ships are going on six month tours where they resupply every few weeks but are out on their own for years at a time.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Then look at the GCS - volume 5,821,000 m^3, 1000 crew, so about 6000 m^3 per individual. Vastly more than any modern ship, but still enough for a cube to have a crew of 4.5 million drones.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Im not saying they couldnt have that many, Im saying they wouldnt need that many. In unimatix 00 when we see rebel Borg take over a sphere and presumably other Borg vessels they would have been only a fraction of the total Borg on those vessels, 7 of 9 said only one in a few thousand had the anomoly that let them enter unimatix 00.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But just the one aboard ship, at least the Klingon we saw managed to over take a ship for himself. Its possible that a single one is able to free others since they are parted from the Collective.