How to let the regligius to leave you alone?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: How to let the regligius to leave you alone?

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Not at all. If all else fails you just tell them to fuck off.
All well and good, but that doesn't speak the current topic, which is that people have a right to their beliefs even if we find those beliefs to be annoying.
Captain Seafort wrote:No, you're not. You're putting one person's right not to be harassed above another's wish to harass them. The latter is not a right.
Again, sure - if you ignore the matter at hand. If someone's faith includes a dictate to proselytize, then so doing is not a wish, it is a fulfillment of his right to his faith.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:All well and good, but that doesn't speak the current topic, which is that people have a right to their beliefs even if we find those beliefs to be annoying.
I don't care what they believe - it's none of my business. It's their actions that I have a problem with.
If someone's faith includes a dictate to proselytize, then so doing is not a wish, it is a fulfillment of his right to his faith.
Then they can go and proselytize at Hyde Park Corner or the local equivalent. I'm sure the regulars will be happy to engage them in a long and fruitful discussion of the meaning of life. :twisted:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Then they can go and proselytize at Hyde Park Corner or the local equivalent. I'm sure the regulars will be happy to engage them in a long and fruitful discussion of the meaning of life.
Yes, they can - they can also come to your door in order to be told to piss off.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I always say I don't want what you are selling and close the door before they try to say anything.

Aside from that I can't really tell you about the extra stuff you mentioned.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I actually rather enjoyed my short debate with a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses.

... I didn't get a lot of company at that time.
I don't mind religious people calling around in general. I've had Mormons, Hare Krishna, the local Elm Pentecostal Church & all have been very nice people willing for a chat on the doorstep but when they realise I'm not buying what they're selling they leave without any fuss and a handshake. Except the Catholics. They walk off almost annoyed I didn't fall to my knees repenting. I guess that's what happens in a country that used to do what the clergy said 99% of the time but now the country has (in the majority) turned its back on them.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Put a paper outside of your front door asking for volunteers to help the poor and desperate.

I don't know if any of you saw pictures of supporters lining up outside of Chick-fil-a Restaurants but I've never seen that many people lining up to help at shelters, soup kitchens, or outreach programs.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A Jehovah's Witness came to my door yesterday. She offered me a Watchtower along with a pamphlet about "doomsday" and asked my thoughts on the matter. I told her Einstein's quote regarding WW4 - which she found amusing - and then explained that as far as religion, my faith isn't originally messianic and that my wife's views are based upon Revelations inasmuch as she thinks of the subject at all. The lady then simply said that I could take the books if I wanted, and wished me well.

It was the lowest-pressure, most pleasant encounter I've ever had with a Jehovah's Witness in the process of proselytization.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nice. Mine traditionally have been arguments until I just decided to close the door on them.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Thanks guys (ladies) for your advice. I feel very let down that they haven't come back to finish the argument. Perhaps its because I gave em as good as they got & they don't like a strong minded (argumentative bastard) person having a chat with them. Ah well i can only hope they come back.
Like I said I've had a good half dozen versions of religious types coming to my door & I scare em all off. I'm tempted to bring the next guy/girl in and introduce them to lord Cthulhu see what they do :-)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

First to the OP, when he and his friends come back. The statement of "when I need the advice of a child beating rapist I'll call you but my beer is currently calling me" works well enough for just about anyone at my front door when said at a fairly high volume. There are a large number of kids in my area with about twice the number of firearms. I have very few unwelcome visitors these days.

Second, religion normally cows in the face of faith and knowledge. When someone comes at you preaching religion and not of faith, its normally easy to piss them off and send them running with their ego's tightly tucked.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu