Wimbledon 2012

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Wimbledon 2012

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rafa's in a spot of bother here - 2-1 down, and Rosol is looking the better player.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Wimbledon 2012

Rafa takes the second set, a long pause to close the roof, and now he's a break down in the final set. Here we go!
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 and Rafa's out of Wimbledon. Bloody hell.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've played tennis once... and got my butt handed to me. Admittedly my opponent does it a lot more than I do. :P I do enjoy watching it at least.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've played tennis once... and got my butt handed to me. Admittedly my opponent does it a lot more than I do. :P I do enjoy watching it at least.
I've only played a few times, and usually won. Admittedly my opponent was about half a century older than me. :P

On court, now Rodger's in trouble - lost the first two sets (although he has walked away with the third). :shock: Is there something in the water this year?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Federer takes the fourth set on a tiebreak. I suspect he's going to win this one - Benneteau isn't walking all over him the way Rosol did to Nadal.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Yep - 6-1 in the final set. Gave him a good run for his money overall, and a bit of fright, but that fourth set tiebreak was really his last chance.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Actually, Seafort, you do rather good reports of it, too. And hey, a win's a win. ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

True, but I was hoping to see Benneteau win, purely because of how far below Federer he was ranked, just as I was pleased to see Rosol beat Nadal. He did exceptionally well to have Federer in the trouble he was in, but the man hasn't won 16 Slams without having a few extra tricks up his sleeve to pull out when necessary.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Actually, i was referring to your victory. ;)

Caught a bit of Wimbledon today. Never did get why the scoring's scored like it is, name-wise.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Actually, i was referring to your victory. ;)

Caught a bit of Wimbledon today. Never did get why the scoring's scored like it is, name-wise.
Do you mean games/sets/matches, or love-15-30-40-advantage?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The love-15-30-40 bit, Mikey.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The love-15-30-40 bit, Mikey.
There are a couple of theories - not surprisingly, because it's nonsensical, most of them involve the French. Some say that the medieval French version of the game kept score on a clock face, some that the scoring calls are based on a precursor to tennis popular in pre-Revolutionary Paris in which the winner of a point moved up on the court 15 ft., then 15 ft., then 10. "Deuce" and subsequent advantage-in/advantage-out calls were added when the sport attained the rule of having to win a game by two "points." The term "love" may come from l'oeuf ("egg," like we refer to a team having a "goose egg" or a duck in cricket) or - if the clock-face thing is true - may be a corruption of l'heure ("the hour.")
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

And the Championship goes to Federer. Now we just wait for all the morons to say that Murray was shit.
*Edit* Already started :picard:
Last edited by Griffin on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The love-15-30-40 bit, Mikey.
There are a couple of theories - not surprisingly, because it's nonsensical, most of them involve the French. Some say that the medieval French version of the game kept score on a clock face, some that the scoring calls are based on a precursor to tennis popular in pre-Revolutionary Paris in which the winner of a point moved up on the court 15 ft., then 15 ft., then 10. "Deuce" and subsequent advantage-in/advantage-out calls were added when the sport attained the rule of having to win a game by two "points." The term "love" may come from l'oeuf ("egg," like we refer to a team having a "goose egg" or a duck in cricket) or - if the clock-face thing is true - may be a corruption of l'heure ("the hour.")
... And they say American Football has weird scoring rules. ;) :D