Soong Class Positronic Android

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Soong Class Positronic Android

Post by McAvoy »

Interesting. But I do not think Starfleet is worried about new Soong type androids going rogue as much as perhaps the ethical part of it. Basically you create a new race of beings, the intent of making them almost like slaves.

The Augments/supermen argument shows aside from Kirk, no one can really stand toe to toe with with them, and they have a natural sense of strategy too. That and those done illegally in the 24th century has issues too, most are unstable whereas Bashir (and perhaps others that we do not know of) are rare.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:
Mikey wrote:No, they don't like the eugenic "supermen" because those men started a war which devastated populations. AFAIK, Data hasn't.
Only the augment did it. Bashir's friends didn't and yet they are in prisson without having committed any crime just because of what they are. The point is UFP banned any kind of genetic improvements in people because they are potentially dangerous as Lore (and even Data) has demostrated he is.
You're missing my point. I didn't say that there was no prejudice; I said that the prejudice is based on a history belonging to eugenics which androids don't share.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:
Mikey wrote:No, they don't like the eugenic "supermen" because those men started a war which devastated populations. AFAIK, Data hasn't.
Only the augment did it. Bashir's friends didn't and yet they are in prisson without having committed any crime just because of what they are. The point is UFP banned any kind of genetic improvements in people because they are potentially dangerous as Lore (and even Data) has demostrated he is.
You're missing my point. I didn't say that there was no prejudice; I said that the prejudice is based on a history belonging to eugenics which androids don't share.
The androids don't share that history because they have not had the opportunity, but given that opportunity what could happen?
We have seen four funtional Soong androids: Data, Lore, B4 and the old lady. One of them was evil and other one was programed to act against UFP, that is a 50/50 change to unleash a new very dangerous threat.

Plus the augment did all those bad things. They were a particular type of genetically enhanced people created using primitive methods almost 400 years before TNG era, a failed experiment (one with catastrophic consequences but still) yet the humans and later the UFP banished any kind of genetic improvement in people for good.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:The androids don't share that history because they have not had the opportunity, but given that opportunity what could happen?
We have seen four funtional Soong androids: Data, Lore, B4 and the old lady. One of them was evil and other one was programed to act against UFP, that is a 50/50 change to unleash a new very dangerous threat.

Plus the augment did all those bad things. They were a particular type of genetically enhanced people created using primitive methods almost 400 years before TNG era, a failed experiment (one with catastrophic consequences but still) yet the humans and later the UFP banished any kind of genetic improvement in people for good.
You're still ignoring the point. You may be right, but that's irrelevant; androids may turn out to be far more evil than anything else in the history of ever, but that's irrelevant. We are discussing the germ of humanity's prejudice against eugenics, not the factual content of the issue. Humanity has a prejudice against eugenics because of what DID happen, never mind that it was perpetrated by a sample rather than the entirety. Whether or not androids would have done worse than augments given the opportunity doesn't matter - such a thing HASN'T happened in the 'Trek-verse, so the populace of the UFP doesn't have the same fear and loathing for androids as they do for augments.

If a young child gets bitten by a dog, he will be afraid of dogs - all the rational reasoning that other dogs are different may be correct, but won't help a damn.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer