SF Debris: The Bonding

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: The Bonding

Post by Nutso »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-6181122
This is the episode where a blue-shirt dies and Picard must inform her child that he is now an orphan. The child takes it well.

Chuck recalls a passage written by Michael Piller from an unpublished book about Insurrection called, "Fade In." Piller describes the constraints writers underwent in Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future, referred to as a "box." Gene thought it was great that humanity would "evolve" to accept death and never be sad of losing a loved one. Chucks spends a little time discussing this. Very informative review. According to Chuck, this is "Ronald D. Moore's first Trek story and so his first story that Gene Roddenberry hated."

Here is a pdf to Michael Piller's unpublished book. http://theologica.verydewarsontherocks. ... FadeIn.pdf
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SF Debris: The Bonding

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

If we ever evolve like Gene wanted us to, it will be the loss of humanity as a whole.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:If we ever evolve like Gene wanted us to, it will be the loss of humanity as a whole.
Aye. A galaxy full of sociopaths is the last thing we need. However I really don't think Gene Rodenberry's skew-wiff idea of evolution is close enough to reality to have to worry about it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:If we ever evolve like Gene wanted us to, it will be the loss of humanity as a whole.
Aye. A galaxy full of sociopaths is the last thing we need. However I really don't think Gene Rodenberry's skew-wiff idea of evolution is close enough to reality to have to worry about it.
Agreed, but my fingers are still crossed on that.