Prometheus

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Prometheus

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:This is definitively a prequel int he sense that it takes place prior to Alien.
Yes, but I think Scott's point was that it wasn't an episode in the storyline that began with Alien. He never said anything but that it was still definitely part of the same mythology.
stitch626 wrote:And it looks lie they are returning to what made the first movie so good.
Yep - Ridley Scott's directing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Aliens is still my favorite even though Alien was better done. Alien was suspense and mental. Aliens was action and scifi...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Jim wrote:Aliens is still my favorite even though Alien was better done. Alien was suspense and mental. Aliens was action and scifi...
That's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Alien was a suspense / horror movie and Aliens was an action film, all be it a fairly intelligent one.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:
Jim wrote:Aliens is still my favorite even though Alien was better done. Alien was suspense and mental. Aliens was action and scifi...
That's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Alien was a suspense / horror movie and Aliens was an action film, all be it a fairly intelligent one.
Which puts it above a lot of actin films out there, if you ponder on it. ;)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
Which puts it above a lot of actin films out there, if you ponder on it. ;)
Sure, but it doesn't make it a better orange than that apple.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The only issue I ever had with Aliens... is how the hell did that LT ever survive to LT...?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:The only issue I ever had with Aliens... is how the hell did that LT ever survive to LT...?
Administration? :)
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:
I agree, which is what I was trying to say. However, I was nto trying to compare which is better, action or suspense (apples to oranges), I was just stating which of the Alien series of films I like the most with a nod as to why I liked it more.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Take off and nuke em from orbit, only way to be sure.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Saw Prometheus yesterday. Visually stunning, but frankly I was sorely disappointed in it. :cry:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

What disappointed you?

Charlize Theron? :Drool1:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Praeothmin wrote:Charlize Theron?
I think she counts as part of the "visually stunning" part.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Charlize Theron?
I think she counts as part of the "visually stunning" part.
Over-rated.

But... was that REALLY LOUD screaching music from the trailer in the film?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Charlize is fine in the film, her part isn't the biggest but she handles it very well.

It's just... I was expecting this to be more, I guess. I expected an epic, sweeping movie, something involving. I expected grand revelations about the place they were headed to.

What we get is, basically, a bunch of monsters. And there's no real logic to the monsters, they're just... monsters that do monster things because they are monstrous. It comes across like somebody sat down and said "And what if you chopped a bit off it, and then that bit turned into a different monster! And what if it like drooled on the floor and somebody touched the drool and that made the drool come alive and turn into another type of monster!"

Those are made up examples, by the way. Not spoilers. But that's roughly how it is... the original Xenomorph had a really simple, easy to understand, relatable life cycle and manner of behaving. We saw how it was born, how it grew, we saw it killing, sleeping... we almost got to know it as a character. In Prometheus they seemed to just want a lot of different monsters in there doing gross stuff in hopes that it would look really cool. There's no depth to it.

I believe one of the writers from Lost wrote this, and it shows. I gave up on Lost because it kept endlessly dangling tantalising questions, and hinting that deep things were going on, but then it rapidly became clear that this was all surface show - the writers didn't really have any plan, they just made it up as they went along. That's how Prometheus comes across. A lot of potential issues and questions raised, and then they're just kind of left there. I get the distinct impression that the script wants to be deep and meaningful, but doesn't really know how to be.

Maybe I did expect too much. If you want to see cool stuff on screen and monsters doing their monster thing, you may well enjoy it far more than I did.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sounds rather disappointing. I was hoping for what the build-up promised: an over-arching background to the Alien milieu. Oh well.
as Bull offed Custer