How would you prepare?

Deep Space Nine
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: How would you prepare?

Post by katefan »

Jeez, lighten up, guys. Seriously, it is a forum discussing a hypothetical question regarding a science fiction universe and a novel solution was brought up no one had apparently considered. I think we can all show a little levity?

Guess not.

I'll leave you uptight bastards to your own little corner of the internet, then. Maybe in a year or so you jerks might have developed a sense of humor.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The solution wasn't a part of the question to begin with. If the word "prepare" is to complex for you to understand. I would recommend you spend that year with a tutor.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The solution wasn't a part of the question to begin with. If the word "prepare" is to complex for you to understand. I would recommend you spend that year with a tutor.
The word is apparently too complex for you. The purpose of preparation is to get yourself into the best possible position to achieve your objective. The objective is to prevent the Dominion conquering the AQ. If the Dominion can't get to the AQ, they can't conquer it. QED.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The objective is to prepare, hence the word even being in the Thread Title. Your trolling is still as useless as it was at the start.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

katefan wrote:Jeez, lighten up, guys. Seriously, it is a forum discussing a hypothetical question regarding a science fiction universe and a novel solution was brought up no one had apparently considered. I think we can all show a little levity?

Guess not.

I'll leave you uptight bastards to your own little corner of the internet, then. Maybe in a year or so you jerks might have developed a sense of humor.
Okay, if it was meant as a joke, that's fine. I apologize; I did not get your joke. And "close the wormhole" is about the most obvious solution I can think of in the scenario. Hardly novel, and I assure you that people considered it. Except that it doesn't work in the framework of this discussion.

I'm not being uptight; I'm stating that the original poster is framing the question in a certain way. People are choosing to reject the framework of the scenario, so I don't see why some people are posting about it at all.

Thanks for visiting our little corner of the internet; maybe in a year or two, you'll stop acting like a dick.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Children play nice.

Maybe I should have been clear from the start. But anyway closing the wormhole isn't that challenging. This is a discussion on how you would prepare for a war like the Dominion War.

Oh, and there is no 'r' in my name Deep. Just a petpeeve of mine (and family). :P
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My bad man, I know a Mcavory family and it just flopped in my head.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

No big deal. Rule of thumb for me is if I get a call from someone who screws up my name I hang up. If it's important they'll call back.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'll hang up on them regardless, if I don't know you I don't care about you.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

#1 - If Mac says "no wormhole closures," then fine - it's his yard.

#2 - Before that was stated explicitly, posing the best answer =/= trolling. Preventing your enemy from entering your territory is phenomenal way to prepare; would you say that Roman soldiers building ramparts around their camps wasn't preparing, or putting baileys around motts wasn't preparing? Again, it's McAvoy's place to say; but to call answering "trolling" without having an idea that the answer does fall under the definition of the word in question is pretty sad.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The sad fact is that the words prevent vs prepare are still beyond your limited scope and now you're just adding excuses to cover for your ignorance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:The sad fact is that the words prevent vs prepare are still beyond your limited scope and now you're just adding excuses to cover for your ignorance.
Ah, so your inability to comprehend nuances of meaning is due to my ignorance. Check.

However, you still haven't answered - if you were CiC, would you avoid bombing your enemy's airfields, production facilities, etc., because preventing him from launching attacks isn't the same as "preparing" yourself?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:I'll hang up on them regardless, if I don't know you I don't care about you.
That's ok I don't care about you either. :wink:

Let's just get this back on topic.

One thing that did pop into my head thought was that starships should be heavily concentrated near the wormhole. I don't mean 5,000 ships (though that might not be a bad idea to an extent), but have as many stationed nearby. The other would be is the wormhole would be a big chokepoint, for either side. One solution to this is specifically design ships that are either unmanned or manned with skeleton crew that is heavily armored and armed to take the initial brunt if the war goes to the Gamma Quadrant (if the CU doesn't join the Dominion that is).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Ah, so your inability to comprehend nuances of meaning is due to my ignorance. Check.
Your inability to tell two words apart is hardly my fault.
Mikey wrote:However, you still haven't answered - if you were CiC, would you avoid bombing your enemy's airfields, production facilities, etc., because preventing him from launching attacks isn't the same as "preparing" yourself?
Strategic bombing isn't a part of "preparing" for war. At that point, you have taken hostile action and thus are now engaged in war rather then just in prep for war.
McAvoy wrote:That's ok I don't care about you either.
Touche! :lol:
McAvoy wrote:One thing that did pop into my head thought was that starships should be heavily concentrated near the wormhole. I don't mean 5,000 ships (though that might not be a bad idea to an extent), but have as many stationed nearby. The other would be is the wormhole would be a big chokepoint, for either side. One solution to this is specifically design ships that are either unmanned or manned with skeleton crew that is heavily armored and armed to take the initial brunt if the war goes to the Gamma Quadrant (if the CU doesn't join the Dominion that is).
I would prefer a series of tightly grouped starbases. Uprated DS9s or something the like would be best. The cross fire ability from large stable platforms that wouldn't require as much effort to upkeep as a massive fleet. Six stations near the mouth of the wormhole with a fleet just behind that would allow the superior shields of the stations to absorb the fire and protect the more costly ships.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Starbases are expensive though unless you can find decom'ed ones.

A better solution would be a Federation version of the Cardassian Orbital Platforms. The key is the wormhole for both sides. You have to protect it. The problem goes on both sides too. An allied invasion of the Gamma Quadrant would pose as much if not more difficulty as a Dominion invasion of the Alpha/Beta Quadrants.