The Avengers 2012

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Avengers 2012

Post by McAvoy »

I saw it today. it was great. Lots of action, plenty of humor.
Iron Man gets another suit. Mk. 7 Looks very similar to the Mk. 3 from the first movie. I don't know what is so special about this one though. Maybe Stark just builds a new Mk suit when the current one is trashed or something.

The fight between Thor and Iron Man was really good. Though you could tell that Thor was slowly getting the upperhand because the Iron Man suit was getting trashed.

The very one sided 'fight' between the Hulk and Loki was very funny. Unfortunately I did not hear what the Hulk said because the whole theater was laughing.

I did find it interesting when Banner said he is always angry. After some thought that led me to believe that Banner can actually control the Hulk to a degree and transform at will.

I was half expecting somewhere in the movie that Captain America would actually pick up Thor's hammer and give it back to him.

Stark as always was funny.

The first ending, I have no clue who he is. The second ending while amusing I could have done without.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

To answer/respond to your spoilers (in no particular order):
Guy at the end: leader of the Skrulls afaik.

Banner can become hulk at will, however NOT being hulk is difficult.

Mk 7 can deploy from the tower to wherever Stark is and can attach to him as long as he is wearing the bracelet.

Hulk says "Puny God".
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

"Puny God?" :laughroll:

The one thing that bothered me the most about the movie was the flying aircraft carrier that looks even larger than a Nimitz class. I know SHIELD had one in the comics... but c'mon.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:
"Puny God?" :laughroll:

The one thing that bothered me the most about the movie was the flying aircraft carrier that looks even larger than a Nimitz class. I know SHIELD had one in the comics... but c'mon.
A movie about a man in an over-powered metalic suit, a frozen supersoldier, two demi-gods, an invasion, and a mild-mannered scientist with serious anger management issues and thats what bothered you the most?!? :lol:

Also, I find it ironic that someone is bothered by the fact that they were too true to the comic. What, it's ok to have a giant flying aircraft carrier in a comic but not in a movie based on those comics? ;) :poke:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I knew someone was going to say that. :P

Somehow it just... bothered me.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

It bothers me a bit too, just from a practical standpoint. However, it's also a comic book universe where practicality is very different so I'm ok with it. If someone proposed tomorrow to build a flying aircraft carrier, then I might be concerned...
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I knew it was a comic book movie which is why it didn't anger me for being impractical and too flashy.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

The guy in the first ending is Thanos. His skin is pink and the mention of Death was the clincher. Thanos is literally in love with Death.
I loved this movie from front to end. Some people have complained about parts where it drags a bit and I had no problem with them. Robert Downey Jr. may have had a bit more than the others, scene wise, but I can understand that seeing as how he has the most charisma and is playing the most extroverted character. I thought what they did with Hawkeye to keep him very much in play was a great idea.

An A+, and I desperately hope Whedon is writing/directing Avengers 2.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

[quote="katefan"]
The guy in the first ending is Thanos. His skin is pink and the mention of Death was the clincher. Thanos is literally in love with Death.
[quote]

That is who I thought it was as well. He has had much more interaction with the Avengers, and it's members, that the other "who is that" suggestion.

Having looked into it, it might not be a setup for the vilian in Avengers 2... but potentially Thor 2. Either way I don't really care. These movies are well written, we acted and very well produced. I do not care too much as to who fights who in which movie as they are all doing a great job.
Last edited by Jim on Tue May 08, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

That is a good point. Setting up the big bad for Thor 2 does make sense, with the way each Marvel movie seems to hint at the next one, with Incredible Hulk being the exception. And that dude would make an excellent Thor villain.

Ooooh, and I just remembered one of the items in Odin's trophy room that references him. :D
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Interesting.
IMDB has Alexis Denisof (from Angel) credited as "The Other". If he plays Thanos, it'll be awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tsukiyumi, washt that the guy that was talking to Loki in Loki's "flashback"? The character at the end appeared to be a pure CG face as opposed to an actor.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I actaully do have a side question... Gwyneth Paltrow's character is in it basically twice (plus the quick shot on the plane) but active twice... both times she is wearing Daisy-Dukes and no shoes... I thought that was rather odd... any thoughts?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Jim wrote:Tsukiyumi, washt that the guy that was talking to Loki in Loki's "flashback"? The character at the end appeared to be a pure CG face as opposed to an actor.
Don't know, haven't seen the film yet. I was just guessing based on the cast list.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Jim wrote:I actaully do have a side question... Gwyneth Paltrow's character is in it basically twice (plus the quick shot on the plane) but active twice... both times she is wearing Daisy-Dukes and no shoes... I thought that was rather odd... any thoughts?
Is that a bad thing?