Trek Books, Games and General chat
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

How Would You Do a TNG-era mirrorverse?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

From here...
GrahamKennedy wrote:DS9 missed the entire point of the Mirror Universe, IMO. The Mirror Universe is meant to be a place where the good guys are evil. That's it, that's the whole reason for looking at it.

DS9 Mirror Universe characters are basically the same people as they are in our universe. They're in a different situation, which makes them a bit more desperate and a bit more grumpy... but basically, apart from Kira, any DS9 mirror character is the same person. Oh, except that the women are all gay or bi, for some weird reason.

I can't watch any of the DS9 mirror eps without just being sad at the wasted opportunity.

So... okay. There's no Cardassian/Klingon Empire. The Terran Empire is still alive and kicking ass while twirling their Dick Dastardly mustaches. How would you do the characters, the major galactic players? Story arcs?
Last edited by RK_Striker_JK_5 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: How Would You Do a TNG-ear mirrorverse?

Post by McAvoy »

I personally liked the novel I think it's called Dark Mirror.

Story arcs would be assissinations, plots, local revolts, and Terran expansion. Maybe since this is the Mirror Universe, a Good Dominion forging an alliance with the Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers to defeat the Terran Empire.

Come to think of it, a MU Dominion would be very interesting indeed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yep, Dark Mirror had it spot on. Picard was a monster. He murdered Wesley's dad and kept him around on the Enterprise to taunt him, and to use him to as leverage against Beverly, who was the "captain's woman". Troi was the political officer, scanning people's minds routinely to ensure that they behaved and in charge of the agonisers (the combadges were agonisers in the book, which was a nice touch) and agony booths as the chief torturer. The Klingons were basically decent sorts, but had been conquered by the Empire. And so on.

Personally I'd have the DS9 situation as one in which the Cardassians were the good guys, a benevolent democratic republic who had been helping the Bajorans. The Empire comes in and forces the Cardassians off to enslave the Bajorans. Kira would be pretty much as depicted, a traitor working for the Empire. Sisko would be the Empire equivalent of Gul Dukat, a brutal overseer. Bashir would be Dr Mengele, conducting medical experiments on the Bajorans. And all of them constantly jockying for position, hoping for a chance to assassinate a superior and so move up.

Quark would be a good guy, trying to survive under the Empire and helping Bajorans as and when he could. Odo would be much the same as in our timeline, I think.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Odo would be much the same as in our timeline, I think.
He's so neutral, a 'mirror' version would be pretty much the same?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

What is the opposite of justice?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:What is the opposite of justice?
Odo's a crime lord, then?

Also, something I thought of.

Hello, we're the Borg. Would you like to try assimilation? Okay, no? Fair enough. Oh, but your friend does? Okay, sign here, here and here. And now for a pain-free upgrading and some sleek, sexy cybernetic upgrades!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Hello, we're the Borg. Would you like to try assimilation? Okay, no? Fair enough. Oh, but your friend does? Okay, sign here, here and here. And now for a pain-free upgrading and some sleek, sexy cybernetic upgrades!
:laughroll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Hello, we're the Borg. Would you like to try assimilation? Okay, no? Fair enough. Oh, but your friend does? Okay, sign here, here and here. And now for a pain-free upgrading and some sleek, sexy cybernetic upgrades!
:laughroll:
Excellent, all going according to plan. :happydevil:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: How Would You Do a TNG-era mirrorverse?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Would be a great fanfic.

Maybe something a few of us could collaborate on...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Would be a great fanfic.

Maybe something a few of us could collaborate on...
We probably oughta close out the ones we have going before we start on anothe ---- oh what's that over there?

;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, all of the wargames seem to be dead, and my Call of Cthulhu game dropped off as well, so i figured maybe there was some free time floating around. :lol:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Interesting idea.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

We could pick certain characters to write for, pick a setting and premise, etc.

I think mirror Garak would be really interesting to write. He's such a nuanced character to begin with.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Garak? Wow, no idea how he'd be in this version of the mirrorverse.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Garcia mirror would be the town idiot. As subtle as a brick to the face.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.