extent of humanity?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: extent of humanity?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, what was that line from Galen from Crusade, about dead colonies? Ugh... :bangwall:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Huh, I just wondered about that line "Where no man (TOS)/ no one (TNG) has gone before".

Seemed less than truthful at times, as they were assisting colinies, or starships, or what not in TOS............and in TNG they did VERY little first contact exploring like Kirk and Co. did. Hell, even Archer and Janeway did more.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Exactly how many organizations do you know that do exactly what they say in their mission statements?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:Exactly how many organizations do you know that do exactly what they say in their mission statements?

La Cosa Nostra ;)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:Exactly how many organizations do you know that do exactly what they say in their mission statements?
My squadrons did exactly what the mission statements stated. Warheads on foreheads and all that. Basically stated a safe working environment as possible while fixing the planes for the next mission.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

McAvoy wrote:. Warheads on foreheads and all that.
I don't seem to recall that from the promotional materials. Which are more like:

http://www.navy.com/careers/arts-education.html
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

sunnyside wrote:
McAvoy wrote:. Warheads on foreheads and all that.
I don't seem to recall that from the promotional materials. Which are more like:

http://www.navy.com/careers/arts-education.html
Hell no. Your average sailor is basically walking talking sailor stereotype. Except for leaving a kid in every port. Too many STDs out there.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its funny that the colonies we do see are usually <50000. All on one M class planet.

Which to me seems a massive waste. You could have hundreds of settlements each with its own rules and culture.

A planet that could support billions only having 10k.

I think in the 22nd century when space travel was still new and the bad old days were still in living memory, I think we would have seen a massive exodus from earth just so people could start afresh and because it was new.

I see a single M class planet being settles by a dozen different groups that then grow and develope and after a couple of hundred years we see planets developed and with their own culture.

Similar to how the USA grew from seperate settlements to the united states.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Alright, you know I'm an asshole so here I go again.

...absurdly low population counts were mentioned frequently in TNG and its descendents. Gene put a lot of his hippie ideas into this show like bad fashion sense and bigotry... and anyways there is an idea among lefty radicals to depopulate the Earth so as to be at a sustainable population. I think Gene's federation humans were "responsible" and had less than or equal to the population replacement birth rate.

Also, I think many more people may have died following the Eugenics Wars and the 3rd World War than died in those events due to lingering effects of what have you... radioactive fallout, starvation, warlordism, plagues, unexploded munitions, et cetera.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's not being an asshole... with the technology at their disposal, UFP-era Earth would NOT have an overpopulation problem. I think that, in fact, is why we see such low population numbers for colonies and why the odd new colonial expedition didn't have to "share" a planet, as Teaos mentioned. There doesn't seem to be a lot of environmental pressure to HAVE to colonize - what we see is the relatively small number of groups that WANTED to do so, for ethical/lifestyle choice/whatever other reasons.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's not like situations where Europeans came to the New World.

Also this just popped in my head. Did we ever hear about someone in Trek having more than one sibling?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ezri and Miles both had a couple of brothers (as did Data :P ), Trip had a brother and sister, Sisko had a sister and at least two brothers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When you don't have to work 40+ hours a week to survive what else is there to do.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Argue the toss about works of fiction? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote: Sisko had a sister and at least two brothers.
I knew about the sister. When did we hear about the brothers?

And frankly, I think the toss was heads but I guess it's really for the refs on the field to see.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."