Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

SFDebris: In A Mirror, Darkly (Part 1)

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: SFDebris: In A Mirror, Darkly (Part 1)

Post by katefan »

This two parter may have been the only Enterprise episodes that I truly liked. Granted, I stopped watching some time during season three (the Xindi were pure ass) and coming back during season four only supported my decision so there are gaps, but of what I did see 'Darkly was the most fun.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

After I watched this episode, I concluded that the people in the Mirror Verse weren't crazy, just evil. Thus, Real Archer actually argues with himself because he is actually crazy. Why couldn't they do a story where the captain was crazy? This didn't have to be another 'everybody's perfect' show!
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree with Chuck early in a video in that while the episode was not perfect but at least the writers are trying.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The mirror universe, where good is evil, and evil is... stupid.

Thank you Chuck.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Love the Spaceballs reference.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:Love the Spaceballs reference.
I use that quote in real life more frequently than I'd like. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

You know... it's just, I never liked DSN's take on the mirror universe. These two episodes show why, since it's so much crazier and reflected and... excuse me. I have to go look some words up or something... *Walks away muttering*
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DS9 missed the entire point of the Mirror Universe, IMO. The Mirror Universe is meant to be a place where the good guys are evil. That's it, that's the whole reason for looking at it.

DS9 Mirror Universe characters are basically the same people as they are in our universe. They're in a different situation, which makes them a bit more desperate and a bit more grumpy... but basically, apart from Kira, any DS9 mirror character is the same person. Oh, except that the women are all gay or bi, for some weird reason.

I can't watch any of the DS9 mirror eps without just being sad at the wasted opportunity.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Perfect, Graham. I hate you, now. ;)

yeah, I want Sisko with an eyepatch as dictator of Bajor, a noble Dukat who has a kitten for a pet, Data as a terminator, and all that.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

GrahamKennedy wrote:DS9 missed the entire point of the Mirror Universe, IMO. The Mirror Universe is meant to be a place where the good guys are evil. That's it, that's the whole reason for looking at it.

DS9 Mirror Universe characters are basically the same people as they are in our universe. They're in a different situation, which makes them a bit more desperate and a bit more grumpy... but basically, apart from Kira, any DS9 mirror character is the same person. Oh, except that the women are all gay or bi, for some weird reason.

I can't watch any of the DS9 mirror eps without just being sad at the wasted opportunity.
I thought I was the only person who felt this way. I always hated the DS9 Mirror Universe episodes for the exact same reason you do. I think the only person who wrote a good M/U story outside of the TOS episode was Diane Duane when she penned Dark Mirror. She did a wonderful job portraying the evil TNG crew.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed here as well. For everything that DS9 did wonderfully, the MU wasn't one of them. As GK mentioned, you could take any "real" universe character, put them in the same situation as his MU counterpart, and come up with the exact same person. Maybe Dax' or Kira's latent tendencies wouldn't have expressed themselves so readily, but that's a trifle.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, can't do everything right. ;) But yeah, in this regard, they dropped the ball.