SFDebris : Ensign Ro

The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

SFDebris : Ensign Ro

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-6009539

The general review is good. Humor at the right places, discussion of deeper ethical issues at others. Overall analysis of character's themes and how they fit together in this episodes' storyline. While not breaking any record about being one of his best reviews, that is definetly on par with the quality I came to expect from Chuck.

However, there is on addendum. It seems to me Chuck is developing a much keener sense of timing regarding his posting of reviews. He could make a good joke about Mass Effect 3's opening day, tie-in political fallout analysis from the recent Arab Spring movement, and even make a strong reference to this week's B5 review. I know he's already done such inter-review ties-in in the past, but I have to give him props for working them so naturally this week.

In my humble opinion (take that as you will), it really is a sign that Chuck has outgrown the stage of just being your average internet comedic reviewer. He's a true professional, planning a strong schedule in order to add comedic/insight value through proper timing of episode posting.

Something Voyager never been close to achieve :laughroll:
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: SFDebris : Ensign Ro

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

How would Tasha Yar have come down on this issue? I think she would have joined the Maquis.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:How would Tasha Yar have come down on this issue? I think she would have joined the Maquis.
I'm not so sure, she left her own home planet and never looked back, despite having a sister there. She considered Starfleet her home.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I would've given annoying character to Riker for the earring, myself. ;)
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I like how Chuck pointed out Worf's sash as not being Starfleet issue and it would have been amusing if Ro had brought that up at the end of the meeting within earshot of Riker to point out his pettiness. I think Forbes played a great character and I am sorry she did not reprise the role during DS9. I think Nana Visitor was great and in retrospect I would not have wanted to lose her to Forbes, but a Forbes guest appearance as a Maquis leader would have been nice.

A great review as always, with some wonderful insights both concerning the episode and real life analogies that when done properly Star Trek excels at.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Having a warlod Ro vie for the attentions of the Bajoran people against the Prophet; Sisko asks for peace and cooperation, Ro offers conquest and vengeance.

Of course Ro and her Maquis would be partly funded by the Klingons and she would be wearing the Lursa outfit.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Would we had the chance to see Sisko punch Warlord Ro? :twisted:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And probably bed her, too.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

kostmayer wrote: I'm not so sure, she left her own home planet and never looked back, despite having a sister there. She considered Starfleet her home.
Was it ever made clear exactly HOW it was that they were able to leave their home planet, Yar and Ro both?

Since I guess quite a few Bajorans would rather join starfleet than starve to death or work in slave labour camps I guess there must have been quite unique circumstances for Ro to be able to get away.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And probably bed her, too.
That's more a kirk thing. Slap followed by bedroom. Sisko is the punch followed by several more punches.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And probably bed her, too.
That's more a kirk thing. Slap followed by bedroom. Sisko is the punch followed by several more punches.
Did Sisko bed Intendant Kira? I think he did... so precedent there, at least. ;) If he did, that is.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That was Mirror Sisko, but he was a pansy and thus not THE SISKO.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:That was Mirror Sisko, but he was a pansy and thus not THE SISKO.
It was also, IIRC, the real Sisko when he was pretending to be the Mirror Sisko in Through the Looking Glass.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Thanks, Seafort. Yeah, he definitely bedded mirror-Dax there, and I believe at least implied to have bedded Intendant Kira as well.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

False flirting doesn't count as bedding. Neither does out conning the conning lady of the episode. Sex requires sex to be counted as sex.