Your Lightsaber

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Your Lightsaber

Post by Deepcrush »

Not ramblings, though maybe we should change the name to "make your own Lightsaber wielder.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Eh, I just applied the topic to something I already had. If you're not interested, don't read the post.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Never said I wasn't interested, just posting a question. If you can't handle something as simple as that, stay out of the thread.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Okay, back to semi-topic.

Dark Jedi, without a doubt. I don't think I would last to long as a "Light" Jedi either before the Council kicked me out or I resigned due to extreme annoyance. Lightsaber color would be Darkviolet/Black. For features, water use and haze would be a must though the haze is just because I like the look of it. Being Dark Jedi, the fighting style would have to be a mix of forms. Mainly VII and IV for the primary combat style with III and V as the defensive/counter-offensive backup.

I picture with this someone who started with Forms III and IV and who likely disregarded Forms I and II as being to timid. That not being because they are but being because he becomes Dark and thus much more aggressive then normal. Form III being the starting style as he closed for combat at which point Form IV would take over. Kind of brutish but it suits the character to block glancing shots or strikes then grab the targets wrist and shove a lightsaber through their gut, smiling the whole time. This would start the Jedi in his turning Dark, adopting Form V to suit his battle lust and later once becoming fully Dark is when Form VII would take over. Now he wouldn't be an evil Jedi, or Sith (whatever level/form). He'd likely just stop caring about the Jedi Order and go off to fight his own battles. He's likely targets would be other Jedi or Sith or even fellow Dark Jedi as he went about looking to test his skill in battle against fellow force/saber users. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he were also found fighting along side different military groups just to get some war in between saber duals.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:I picture with this someone who started with Forms III and IV and who likely disregarded Forms I and II as being to timid.
What's timid about Form II? If anything it's one of the most aggressive forms, given that it was developed specificity for lightsaber combat. If anything Form III is the most "timid", as it's the most defensively focussed form.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"Timid" may have been the wrong word, though it's definitely true that Form II is far too specialized for general use, and presupposes acceptance of a certain convention of "gentlemanly" combat between swordsmen - not practical in general combat. I mentioned a leaning toward a Gray Jedi because of my preference for both aspects of V, which is a more physically aggressive and direct form... some would even say brutal. My training and natural bent for saber over foil and epee, I guess.

Of course, all of that analysis can be taken with a grain of salt because Windu, the founder of Vaapad, was never considered anything other than Light.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And... I believe he had to kill the other user of it because he/she went Dark Side. IIRC at least.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:What's timid about Form II? If anything it's one of the most aggressive forms, given that it was developed specificity for lightsaber combat. If anything Form III is the most "timid", as it's the most defensively focussed form.
Form II was built for the sole point of dueling and/or prolonging a duel. Its a form more focused on calm and controlled movements timed with preset strike patterns. Aggression is a negative with Form II as it breaks one's self control and awareness.

Form III was added in because the person I described would need a defensive form to allow him to survive reaching his target. No fighter can be without defense and so I needed to pick at least one of the defense heavy forms. Forms I, II and III all have defensive ideals but again the character I describe has an offense already so taking a form that is dedicated to defense gives him the needed protection to avoid just getting sliced in half as he advances.
Mikey wrote:"Timid" may have been the wrong word, though it's definitely true that Form II is far too specialized for general use, and presupposes acceptance of a certain convention of "gentlemanly" combat between swordsmen - not practical in general combat. I mentioned a leaning toward a Gray Jedi because of my preference for both aspects of V, which is a more physically aggressive and direct form... some would even say brutal. My training and natural bent for saber over foil and epee, I guess.

Of course, all of that analysis can be taken with a grain of salt because Windu, the founder of Vaapad, was never considered anything other than Light.
I think the issue was that Seafort took my saying "timid" as the view of the Form itself, rather then how the character I described would view it. The character is aggressive, very aggressive, and as such doesn't see a duel as something to be treated in a "gentlemanly" fashion. Rather this character would have the single minded goal of killing his enemy. Style, form, looks, etc are pointless and all that matters is the end result. The taking of Form III is simply that he has to be able to defend against an attack. Once within saber reach, its most likely that Form III would be dropped and Forms IV and VII taking over.

Side note, its important to remember the alignment of the User. Dark Jedi are just that, Jedi who wield both Light and Dark sides of the Force. Mikey choose a style that suited a character based on the Light side of the Force who simply has an aggressive side that comes out in battle. Likely thing is that he'd be an experienced Jedi and maybe General on the battlefield. Being where and why he picked up on Form V over anything else. My character is based on someone who is always aggressive and so anything that isn't a means to killing the person in his way would be viewed as timid. If given the choice of naming my character as a general or having no general at all, you'd be better off with no general. If you could place my character anywhere, he'd be more of an assassin for the Jedi Order if you could keep him happy with a long list of difficult targets.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Pretty much what I was getting at - Form II can be just as lethal as any other form, but cannot be easily applied to anything other than duelling (as opposed to general combat.) Most other forms can be applied to lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat as well as use in warfare.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Any form can be lethal, even Form III which is defensive has a lovely treat in that it reflects ranged attacks back at the attackers.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Any form can be lethal, even Form III which is defensive has a lovely treat in that it reflects ranged attacks back at the attackers.
It can do, but it's not really designed to do so - that's more of a Form V innovation. I agree with your general point though - I'm sure anyone who tried telling Vader that Form III was non-lethal would very rapidly find themselves a tad short of breath. :twisted:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Any form can be lethal, even Form III which is defensive has a lovely treat in that it reflects ranged attacks back at the attackers.
It can do, but it's not really designed to do so - that's more of a Form V innovation. I agree with your general point though - I'm sure anyone who tried telling Vader that Form III was non-lethal would very rapidly find themselves a tad short of breath. :twisted:
And of limbs, and maybe a head shorter too. :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'm sure anyone who tried telling Vader that Form III was non-lethal would very rapidly find themselves a tad short of breath.
Probably, but they'd have been correct, too. Obi-Wan didn't kill Vader, remember?
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

@seafort, I am not so sure that the reflective defense by saber is Form V but do account that I included Form V and posted Form III directly for defense. The shift in forms and aggressive options taken were by intent. This type of character is the literal "wild card" that the Jedi Order could play. His saber design, attitude and fighting style are all by design meant as much for psychological warfare as they are for hacking off limbs. Where most Jedi are calm, controlled and reserved. This character is a raging animal in the grip of battle lust. First problem for most would be figuring out who's side he's on. Second being once they figure it out they have to find a way to stop him.

The more I think about it, the more I think he's the Sith-hunter type. While most Jedi also make able Generals or Scouts or Diplomats. I wouldnt send this guy anywhere that I intend to have anything but rubble left when he's done.
Moonshadow
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Moonshadow »

I'm just sitting here quietly...I'm sabre-ing the humor.