The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

[SFDebris] Darmok and Follow-Up

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Here's the episode

Here's the follow-up

I really liked Chuck's take on the alien language. He made his case very well, and I think convey the essence of linguistic science's greatest difficulty.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: [SFDebris] Darmok and Follow-Up

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Wow, I think he finally came up with a reasonable explanation of the Tamarian language. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Interesting.

Is there an easy way to sort his reviews based on the rating he gives them besides watching them all?

It would interest me which TNG, DS9 etc. got a 10/10 rating for example.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Wow, I think he finally came up with a reasonable explanation of the Tamarian language. :)
And for that matter, an interesting little dissertation on how Chinese works.

On a completely different note, was I the only one who couldn't help but think of Deep when Chuck was putting words into Worf's mouth?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Atekimogus wrote:Interesting.

Is there an easy way to sort his reviews based on the rating he gives them besides watching them all?

It would interest me which TNG, DS9 etc. got a 10/10 rating for example.
I don't think so.

Great review and follow-up, there.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:On a completely different note, was I the only one who couldn't help but think of Deep when Chuck was putting words into Worf's mouth?
:laughroll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And great use of the original 99 Luft Balloons, too. :D
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Honestly. I am SO frustrated! I wrote and extremely long review on this release, but it got deleted accidentally, so I will provide my abridged version.

My equipment:
Samsung 1080P 3-D Plasma 2011 model
5.1 Samsung Home Theater, 1000 watts
And 2011 model Samsung BD Player

I will say that I only had ONE disappointment with this, that it was not native 16:9 format therefore, I had to use the picture stretch function to fill my screen. I realize that this is a limitation of the original medium, still a pain in the butt.

However, picture quality and sound are both OUTSTANDING. from initial swoop in of the E-D in Encounter at Farpoint, I was captivated all over again. It is worth the meager price tag for this scene alone. The E-D looks like it did in Generations, so impeccably detailed and imposing. and the sound reflects the onship hum as so very audible, but not intrusive to the experience. I was enthralled. Dont wait for the full release, any true Trek fan should get this sampler, if anything to whet the appetite. It will blow you away. Makes me wish I had an 80 inch TV.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

wrong thread, sorry.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Wow, I think he finally came up with a reasonable explanation of the Tamarian language. :)
And for that matter, an interesting little dissertation on how Chinese works.

On a completely different note, was I the only one who couldn't help but think of Deep when Chuck was putting words into Worf's mouth?
Shit, now I have to watch this...
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Okay, so I see it one of two ways. Either I'm the forever angry guy who simply rather fight out problems. Or I'm the old grump who no one listens to until they need someone to fix their fuck ups.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:Okay, so I see it one of two ways. Either I'm the forever angry guy who simply rather fight out problems. Or I'm the old grump who no one listens to until they need someone to fix their fuck ups.
It's the first one. Definitely the 1st one. Don't you dare argue about it... :poke: