Admiral Cain

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Admiral Kaine

Post by McAvoy »

Well that's different then.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its not just a matter of the Cylons getting into a networked system. They have to have a way into said system. If I bought a couple of PS3's and then linked them together to game with several of my buddies but never connected them to the internet or any other external system. Then the Cylons can't hack it, simulators that are just plugged into each other and only each other would simply be out of reach.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Its not just a matter of the Cylons getting into a networked system. They have to have a way into said system. If I bought a couple of PS3's and then linked them together to game with several of my buddies but never connected them to the internet or any other external system. Then the Cylons can't hack it, simulators that are just plugged into each other and only each other would simply be out of reach.
The problem is that they can clearly get into colonial systems - as seen in the miniseries and that early S2 ep when they networked the Galactica. It's stupid, but the colonials must be using overpowered wifi with piss-poor encryption.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Its not just a matter of the Cylons getting into a networked system. They have to have a way into said system. If I bought a couple of PS3's and then linked them together to game with several of my buddies but never connected them to the internet or any other external system. Then the Cylons can't hack it, simulators that are just plugged into each other and only each other would simply be out of reach.
The problem is that they can clearly get into colonial systems - as seen in the miniseries and that early S2 ep when they networked the Galactica. It's stupid, but the colonials must be using overpowered wifi with piss-poor encryption.
Well we do know the Colonials use wireless communication. Personally, I always assumed that was how the Cylons hacked into the systems.

{When discussing a fictional series with FTL and robots that look/are actually human and hybrid humans/robots running ships, I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that said Robots have figured out a way to upload a virus via nothing more than a radio signal.}
Which reminds me, are we ever given any evidence that the Colonials are using anything more than basic radio? I mean other than the obvious distances involved (i.e. Galactica to Colonial 1 in miniseries) and lack of delay, they never do specify how their comm systems work do they?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:Well we do know the Colonials use wireless communication. Personally, I always assumed that was how the Cylons hacked into the systems.
Then why don't they simply airgap the comms from the computers?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Well we do know the Colonials use wireless communication. Personally, I always assumed that was how the Cylons hacked into the systems.
plot power Bureaucratic illogic?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Don't be silly. There ain't no airgap in the comms from computers.

Everybody knows the waves travel through ether. So just ethergap the comms.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That goes without saying - there's no way in hell a properly airgapped network should be penetrated by anything. Nonetheless, it's slightly less idiotic that the problem is very badly designed wifi rather than a failure to airgap external communications from the computers, especially as the solution is always described as not networking the computers rather than simply making sure external comms are airgapped from the ship's internal networks.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That and somehow having corded phones fixes the problem as well.

Maybe the Colonials went overboard making sure that the Cylons could not find a way into their systems.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Yes, with an external access such as the installation of those cylon signal boxes onboard Galacica they can download their virus into the systems or over a wireless network. Simulators don't need a wireless network.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Yes, with an external access such as the installation of those cylon signal boxes onboard Galacica they can download their virus into the systems or over a wireless network.
What boxes? The clear impression throughout the series is that the Cylons can hack any networked system, regardless of the presence or absence of any pre-emplaced kit.
Simulators don't need a wireless network.
Neither does the main ship's network - they've still evidently got one.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Yes, with an external access such as the installation of those cylon signal boxes onboard Galacica they can download their virus into the systems or over a wireless network.
What boxes? The clear impression throughout the series is that the Cylons can hack any networked system, regardless of the presence or absence of any pre-emplaced kit.
Simulators don't need a wireless network.
Neither does the main ship's network - they've still evidently got one.
He is talking about the cylon box that was discovered in season 1. Without the box, Cylons couldn't hack into Galactica.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:He is talking about the cylon box that was discovered in season 1. Without the box, Cylons couldn't hack into Galactica.
Then it's evidently a work-around to counter the colonials' separated computer systems. If the Cylons always need a hard connection to get in, then why were the old battlestars separated computer systems treated as the only solution, rather than simply a fall-back in case of the Cylons getting a hard connection?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The whole opening of the Cylon attack required that the Cylons had already infiltrated the Colonial's systems. Number Six spoke about it in Part One of the mini-series just as the nukes began falling. Its also a matter of software/v/hardware. A virus requires software to operate, Galactica does and neither does a flight simulator. Hard copy preset values controlled by other humans with a human overseer on a closed network removes the risk of the Cylon virus being able to do anything since you can just reboot every time you go to use the system.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:The whole opening of the Cylon attack required that the Cylons had already infiltrated the Colonial's systems. Number Six spoke about it in Part One of the mini-series just as the nukes began falling.
That was a different situation to the one Galactica's non-networked systems were designed to guard against. The CNS backdoor allowed them to shut down the entire colonial fleet instantly, whereas their hacking trick was a lot more hit-and-miss, albeit still a serious threat. Again, look at early series 2 when the Galactica had to network her computers to speed up a jump, and immediately started suffering progressive penetration from the Cylons. That attack would ultimately have had the same effect as the backdoor, but it took a lot longer.
Its also a matter of software/v/hardware. A virus requires software to operate, Galactica does and neither does a flight simulator. Hard copy preset values controlled by other humans with a human overseer on a closed network removes the risk of the Cylon virus being able to do anything since you can just reboot every time you go to use the system.
Then why was Galactica suffering system penetration when she networked?