Scientists may bring speech to the mute

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Scientists may bring speech to the mute

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/science-res ... 14057.html

It's obviously very early, but the science of reading the brain marches on. I will admit, in the back of my mind I wondered if the same idea would eventually let people read the thoughts of people against their will - but that kind of reading would seem to be far off beyond reading intentional thoughts (i.e., what someone unable to speak imagines himself actually speaking). The brain is still one of the most complex things known to us and one of the most mysterious; since I suffer from certain mental 'issues' myself I find it interesting to follow the slow progress in understand it, so that problems like those I face can eventually be repaired (it won't be in time to help me).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Scientists may bring speech to the mute

Post by alexmann »

Looks good. A bit more funding and they might have got this already.
ImageImage
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

alexmann wrote:Looks good. A bit more funding and they might have got this already.
Isn't that the story of so many things!
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Exactly. If it wasn't for lack of money, we would probably have a colony on Mars by now.
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:Exactly. If it wasn't for lack of money, we would probably have a colony on Mars by now.
It's not the lack of money, it's the money being in the hands of the powerful who are unwilling to part with it, or that spend it unwisely. If the money was better spent, there is plenty of good that could be done with it.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I meant the lack of money in the hands of the people who will actually do good stuff with it.
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:I meant the lack of money in the hands of the people who will actually do good stuff with it.
Ah, then I agree with you on that count :-) Well, we could always start a revolution ;-)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Viva le Revolution!
ImageImage