Post War Fed Shipbuilding

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Post War Fed Shipbuilding

Post by Deepcrush »

If it were a victory for either side, it would likely be treated with more positive response from the Ent-D crew.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

WW1 was a victory for the allies and yet we don't view it positively.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

alexmann wrote:I think that Tomed is a UFP system so I would say that the UFP won.
We don't even know what "Tomed" is, let alone what happened. The only facts we do have are that it cost thousands of lives and resulted in the Federation agreeing not to develop cloaking technology and the Romulans disappearing back behind the Neutral Zone. If it was a Federation victory then why, under a Starfleet that less than twenty years earlier was prepared to seize the Praxis opportunity to crush the Klingons utterly, did they agree to an asymmetrical arms control treaty? The logical assumption is that it was a Federation defeat that forced them to sue for peace, while still being strong enough that the Romulans were prepared to take what they could get rather pushing on.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:If it were a victory for either side, it would likely be treated with more positive response from the Ent-D crew.
Why would they treat their own defeat more positively than a draw? In any event, if it was a draw why was it settled by asymmetrical arms control rather than just tweaking the border as they did with the Cardies?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Look near the Romulan/Klingon/Fed border then follow the line up the Rom/Fed border. You'll see it slightly under the line.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... rekmap.jpg
ImageImage
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:WW1 was a victory for the allies and yet we don't view it positively.
The likely answer to that is that the Europeans fucked up the ending so bad that it caused round 2. But at the end of WWI, the allies minus the USA stacked up the positive juice.
Captain Seafort wrote:We don't even know what "Tomed" is, let alone what happened. The only facts we do have are that it cost thousands of lives and resulted in the Federation agreeing not to develop cloaking technology and the Romulans disappearing back behind the Neutral Zone. If it was a Federation victory then why, under a Starfleet that less than twenty years earlier was prepared to seize the Praxis opportunity to crush the Klingons utterly, did they agree to an asymmetrical arms control treaty? The logical assumption is that it was a Federation defeat that forced them to sue for peace, while still being strong enough that the Romulans were prepared to take what they could get rather pushing on.
Hardly logical seeing as the UFP wasn't using cloaks, continued to expand, did sign a treaty that Spock pointed out would be a large scale arms reduction and still flapped their hands at the Romulans over the treaty anyhow. So exactly where is it that the UFP lost...
Captain Seafort wrote:Why would they treat their own defeat more positively than a draw? In any event, if it was a draw why was it settled by asymmetrical arms control rather than just tweaking the border as they did with the Cardies?
A, there's nothing to say its a UFP defeat. B, because they gave up whole sectors of space with the CU and only pretended to give up tech they weren't using at the time with the RSE. Honestly, its more likely that the UFP took the CU more seriously in terms of the peace then they did the RSE.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

alexmann wrote:*snip map*

You'll see it slightly under the line.
So, which episode is that map from?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:Look near the Romulan/Klingon/Fed border then follow the line up the Rom/Fed border. You'll see it slightly under the line.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... rekmap.jpg
This is non-canon.

Just because someone decides Tomed is a star system when they draw up a non-canon map, until it is seen/mentioned in official canon it means jack.

I have also heard that Tomed was the name of a Romulan flagship that invaded the Federation with a fleet in 2311.

As Seafort pointed out, we know little from canon material.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I have also heard that Tomed was the name of a Romulan flagship that invaded the Federation with a fleet in 2311.
Where from?
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

alexmann wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I have also heard that Tomed was the name of a Romulan flagship that invaded the Federation with a fleet in 2311.
Where from?
Can't remember off-hand... it was one of the Startrek TNG novels I believe. If I remember I'll let you know ;-)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It was one of the Lost Years novels - "Serpent Among the Ruins". Just as canon as the map, obviously.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Seafort wrote:It was one of the Lost Years novels - "Serpent Among the Ruins". Just as canon as the map, obviously.
Which is precisely the point I was making ;-)

There are plenty of theories, but nothing of an explanation in canon.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am with Deep on this one. Chances are that is it was a stalemate. I really just to not see the Romulans going into isolation after this if they won that conflict.

For all we know the Tomed Incident could be about how a fleet of Romulan and Federation ships were wiped out my the Almighty Royal Fleet of Carebears and Unicorns. Romulans said WTF and left because the galaxy became too strange and the Federation was a in a daze willing to grant anything.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:For all we know the Tomed Incident could be about how a fleet of Romulan and Federation ships were wiped out my the Almighty Royal Fleet of Carebears and Unicorns. Romulans said WTF and left because the galaxy became too strange and the Federation was a in a daze willing to grant anything.
:laughroll:
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Deepcrush wrote:
McAvoy wrote:For all we know the Tomed Incident could be about how a fleet of Romulan and Federation ships were wiped out my the Almighty Royal Fleet of Carebears and Unicorns. Romulans said WTF and left because the galaxy became too strange and the Federation was a in a daze willing to grant anything.
:laughroll:
More like:

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :poke:
ImageImage