TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I feel it's disrespectful to Shaw to replace him, and again unnecessary. And it was a bad replacement to boot. What, they couldn't get Hayden to look in the right direction for five seconds?! :bangwall: :madashell:
Have you seen the rest of his acting? I'm surprised they could get him to tie his own shoes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And... laughter point to Mikey. :lol:
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

You can really see the difference on the clips that I have seen. I will be holding off buying TNG until all of it comes out.
ImageImage
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Trekcore has a few new pages up showing how the remasters are coming along. They're doing an excellent job by the looks of things.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Interesting. Looks much better in HD.
ImageImage
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I watched the trailer for the blu ray version of Encounter at Farpoint and was left with a feeling of great joy, and gratitude. Great joy, and gratitude....
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nicely done, indeed. While I never considered FX to be the determinant of "good" or "bad," having better FX tends to be less intrusive to the watching experience.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ok I am most impressed with the detail on the Farpoint creature. Other stuff is ok.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I think it's all much better.
ImageImage
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

McAvoy wrote:Ok I am most impressed with the detail on the Farpoint creature. Other stuff is ok.
Still locks like something belonging rather to sesame street imho.

Should have replaced the whole puppet with actual CGI. Normally I am all for keeping it as close to the original as possible but in case of the Farpoint creature, the thing just looks so cheesy and the Remastered edition doesn't really change that imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. But this isn't like TOS Remastered. All they are doing here is fixing color, enhancing the picture and sound. Basically if they were going to do it like TOSR then yeah, I would want the alien replaced.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'm not sure I want to see George Lucas-esque tampering.

On the other hand, Yesterdays Enterprise with an electrocuted Data and decapitated Wes.. - to say nothing of the aliens in Conspiracy.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

kostmayer wrote:I'm not sure I want to see George Lucas-esque tampering.

On the other hand, Yesterdays Enterprise with an electrocuted Data and decapitated Wes.. - to say nothing of the aliens in Conspiracy.
Me neither, for example I would never dream of replacing the Gorn with CGI, imho the costume looks still great and it works with the overall story.

The farpoint aliens however........the puppets are just so bad that you cannot easily ignore how cringeworthy they look.

The farpoint aliens, the aliens in conspiracy, the slime-tar-pit alien.......those are things which could really profit from todays CGI. The rest stands reasonably well even today imho. Maybe they could brush up a view space battles (yesterdays enterprise comes to mind, where they used a VERY bad and early CGI E-D for a view shots) but other than that...... .

(I am not a huge fan of the TOS remastered to be honest, mainly because.....call me crazy but the CGI Enterprise just doesn't look "real" to me, it looks far more like a plastic toy than the old footage....I really cannot put my finger on it as to why since the CGI models of today are probably even more detailed than the physical ones........and yet......I still prefer the physical models......)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Atekimogus wrote:
(I am not a huge fan of the TOS remastered to be honest, mainly because.....call me crazy but the CGI Enterprise just doesn't look "real" to me, it looks far more like a plastic toy than the old footage....I really cannot put my finger on it as to why since the CGI models of today are probably even more detailed than the physical ones........and yet......I still prefer the physical models......)
The physical models have heft, weight, physical presence. You know they're there, that they exist. The CGI models don't, and therefore no matter how awesome they look... it's an intangible, methinks. And yet right there.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I've always thought CGI ages faster then physical models.