Benedict Cumberbatch for New Trek film

Trek Books, Games and General chat
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Benedict Cumberbatch for New Trek film

Post by colmquinn »

He already appeared to be on the fast-track to the A-list after catching the eyes of Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson. Now Benedict Cumberbatch, star of the BBC's Sherlock Holmes TV series, may have landed his most high-profile role so far: the villain in the latest Star Trek movie.

Both Variety and the Hollywood Reporter say Cumberbatch is stepping into shoes recently vacated by Benicio Del Toro, who was initially set to square off against Captain James T Kirk et al in JJ Abrams' forthcoming followup to his own blockbusting 2009 series reboot. Variety says talks with Del Toro broke down about a month ago, and Cumberbatch subsequently blew Abrams and his team way with an incendiary audition.

The 35-year-old British actor is also due to voice Smaug the dragon and the Necromancer in Jackson's two-part Hobbit project. He is currently appearing as Major Stewart in Spielberg's Oscars-tipped War Horse, as well as playing an MI6 operative in Tomas Alfredson's recent adaptation of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

His role for Abrams may have particular resonance because the original 1982 Star Trek II is known for Ricardo Montalban's searing turn as villain Khan and was widely considered the best film of the series until Abrams entered the fray. The film-maker is not believed to be reviving Khan but is expected to honour his legacy by introducing an equally prominent bad guy.

Cumberbatch will head up what already looks likely to be a sizable British contingent for Star Trek II. Simon Pegg is due to return as Scottie, while Alice Eve and Noel Clarke are also joining the cast. The latter will reportedly play a family man, with a wife and young daughter, who becomes involved in Kirk and Spock's latest adventure.

Star Trek II sees Abrams returning as director, with a screenplay by himself, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The latter pair also worked on the first film. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto will also be back as Kirk and Spock. Cumberbatch may be packing his bags already as, according to trekmovie.com, the sequel starts shooting in a couple of weeks for a 2013 release in 3D.
Source
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch for New Trek film

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oooo, interesting. I've been watching the new Sherlock series and he's extremely good in that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Too bad Peter Cushing's dead. That's my take.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Mikey wrote:Too bad Peter Cushing's dead. That's my take.

What?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

colmquinn wrote:
Mikey wrote:Too bad Peter Cushing's dead. That's my take.

What?
You didn't know that? He died in 1994.

If you mean "What?" as in, "Who the hell are you talking about," then Peter Cushing was a hugely underrated actor who cut his teeth in myriad Hammer horror films, the culmination of which (IMHO) was The Mummy of 1959 opposite Christopher Lee. Oh, he also played Grand Moff Tarkin in a little-known sci-fi film called Star Wars or something. His ability to depict passionate emotion bubbling under a veneer of restraint would have made for a phenomenal 'Trek villain.
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I knew he died I was just wondering why he was brought up in new Trek Villain bit. Could've been clearer with my question I guess.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

colmquinn wrote:I knew he died I was just wondering why he was brought up in new Trek Villain bit. Could've been clearer with my question I guess.
Gotcha. Like I said, I just think he would have made a great 'Trek villain... or SW villain, if Tarkin had been explored further.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I thought you were responding to Graham's comment about Cumberbatch's performance as Holmes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Oh, sorry. I should have been more explicit. Though, now that you mention it, I suspect Cushing would have made a pretty good Holmes, as well.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Oh, sorry. I should have been more explicit. Though, now that you mention it, I suspect Cushing would have made a pretty good Holmes, as well.
He did.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Oh, sorry. I should have been more explicit. Though, now that you mention it, I suspect Cushing would have made a pretty good Holmes, as well.
He did.
So he did. I can't believe I forgot, especially considering that he did a decent turn following an act like Rathbone.

Have you ever had a chance to see him as the Doctor? I haven't seen the films, but I'd love to.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Have you ever had a chance to see him as the Doctor? I haven't seen the films, but I'd love to.
I've seen bits of them, a long time ago. I don't think you can consider those films as Cushing's interpretation of the character given that a) they were made before the concept of regeneration, and therefore of different interpretations, came around and b) Cushing's character was a human inventor, not a Time Lord (indeed, the films were made before anything was revealed of the Doctor's background).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, that's more about them than I knew.
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I like the Cushing films, but it's been a while since I saw them so I can't really comment.

As for the main topic: I like Cumberbatch, and this SHOULD mean the villain won't be Khan.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Oh, he also played Grand Moff Tarkin in a little-known sci-fi film called Star Wars or something.
Speaking of this, I remember seeing a comment once elsewhere that one of the reason the OT was better than the PT was that the former didn't have any big-name actors. Unfortunately I wasn't signed up to it, so I couldn't point out that if any of the SW films relied on minor unknown actors it was The Phatom Menace.