The best thing is that it is a church putting these up...

Jim
Captain
Captain

The best thing is that it is a church putting these up...

Post by Jim »

Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: The best thing is that it is a church putting these up..

Post by stitch626 »

The first one shouldn't be cause for offense, as it is nonsensical (God created humans, and the universe, in the first place, sex wouldn't be needed for Jesus to be implanted).

And the second one is just funny. Though the face seems a little too subdued. I'd expect a much bigger OMG face at finding out you are pregnant and a virgin at the same time.

I can't figure out where the insult is coming from...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:The first one shouldn't be cause for offense, as it is nonsensical (God created humans, and the universe, in the first place, sex wouldn't be needed for Jesus to be implanted).
By that logic Mary wouldn't have been needed at all, given that Adam and Eve apparently came into existence in adult form. The fact that Christ appeared to follow a normal human life cycle (the Ascended Ancient thing notwithstanding) suggests that God simply snapping his fingers wasn't sufficient and that producing a human form in the normal way was required. This includes shagging.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:The first one shouldn't be cause for offense, as it is nonsensical (God created humans, and the universe, in the first place, sex wouldn't be needed for Jesus to be implanted).
By that logic Mary wouldn't have been needed at all, given that Adam and Eve apparently came into existence in adult form. The fact that Christ appeared to follow a normal human life cycle (the Ascended Ancient thing notwithstanding) suggests that God simply snapping his fingers wasn't sufficient and that producing a human form in the normal way was required. This includes shagging.
Fair point, though Adam and Eve being made as adults indicates nothing other than God wanting them to be fully developed, able of making their own decisions.

Also, Jesus developing from a child (as in starting from a handful of cells) allowed for him to be considered a redeemer for Adam's sin.

And the second one is still hilarious.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I laughed more at the first one, but they're both pretty funny. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And the second one is just funny. Though the face seems a little too subdued. I'd expect a much bigger OMG face at finding out you are pregnant and a virgin at the same time.
She'd been told ahead of time so the face works. It's less, "OMG WTF?" and more, "Oh crap they weren't kidding."
suggests that God simply snapping his fingers wasn't sufficient and that producing a human form in the normal way was required. This includes shagging.
If he's god I'd think he could manage for fertilize the egg without having to get it on. That would also sort of screw up the whole, "virgin birth" thing.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:
She'd been told ahead of time so the face works. It's less, "OMG WTF?" and more, "Oh crap they weren't kidding."
Oh good point.

Yep, even funnier now that I see it that way. :lol:
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

He didn't appear in adult form, he was begotten. It was a major point back in 325, in Nicaea.
I have to admit both pictures are quite nice to look at, they are indeed funny. I'd like to see the choir of said church singing the Magnificat at the entrance of an abortion clinic some time soon. It follows the same humor.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:If he's god I'd think he could manage for fertilize the egg without having to get it on. That would also sort of screw up the whole, "virgin birth" thing.
Given that the term "virgin birth" is an oxymoron in and of itself, regardless of the method of conception, I don't see the point of going to the extra trouble. The plan was obviously for Christ to have as natural life cycle as possible.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tyyr wrote:She'd been told ahead of time so the face works. It's less, "OMG WTF?" and more, "Oh crap they weren't kidding."
Yes, an "OMG" tag at the bottom would have been perfect!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole miraculous-conception thing, but I do know that a friend's priest once gave a sermon including the point that Joseph was close to divorcing Mary because she was obviously pregnant, and he was pretty sure he didn't remember the conception...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole miraculous-conception thing, but I do know that a friend's priest once gave a sermon including the point that Joseph was close to divorcing Mary because she was obviously pregnant, and he was pretty sure he didn't remember the conception...
Typical Saturday night... HA!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole miraculous-conception thing, but I do know that a friend's priest once gave a sermon including the point that Joseph was close to divorcing Mary because she was obviously pregnant, and he was pretty sure he didn't remember the conception...
Just a mo. How could they be married and she a virgin. I didn't think that was allowed back then. I thought they had to do it to consecrate the marriage? I've not thought about that before.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
Just a mo. How could they be married and she a virgin. I didn't think that was allowed back then. I thought they had to do it to consecrate the marriage? I've not thought about that before.
I'm just relating what a Catholic priest said. I was busy writing down the hymn numbers that were posted by the aisle so my father-in-law could play them in the lottery.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:Just a mo. How could they be married and she a virgin. I didn't think that was allowed back then. I thought they had to do it to consecrate the marriage? I've not thought about that before.
I'm just relating what a Catholic priest said. I was busy writing down the hymn numbers that were posted by the aisle so my father-in-law could play them in the lottery.
It was more a rhetorical question, all be it spoken out loud. I don't expect religion to make sense, even within it's own rules.
email, ergo spam