Happy Doctor Who Day!

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Happy Doctor Who Day!

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, 48 years ago the show premiered. :D A madman with a box. Share your memories of the show!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Happy Doctor Who Day!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We went to the Blackpool Illuminations once when I was a little kid - that's a British thing, a particular seaside town that puts out a whole lot of Christmas decorations during the season to attract visitors. So we're walking through all this, and lo and behold there is a Doctor Who exhibition on! So mum takes me in, and we're looking around recreations of the sets and stuff. Super cool to a little kid who is a big fan.

Then we turned a corner and there's a Dalek there... a real live Dalek, moving towards me and saying "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

I damn near shit my pants! :shock: :lol:

It's hard to credit now but Who was a very, very scary show by the standards of the day it was on. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My introduction to the show was as much about the environs as the show. Once in a while, a like-minded friend and I would hang in his basement,, tuning to a UHF station which haphazardly rebroadcast some Brit shows we liked - Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, and 'Allo, 'Allo. One day, my bud told me he wanted me to check out something different, and put on this mind-bending program featuring a tall man with a curly mop of brown hair and a ridiculously long scarf, a woman in a tiny leather cocktail dress, a robot dog that looked like something from a 4th-grade science fair, and a blue telephone booth.

Well, from then on it was ritual and we'd gather to watch, compare the different doctors, and just chill. It got to the point at which anytime anybody said that something was broken, stuck, or not working, we'd immediately reply that all we needed to do was reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. :)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The first one I ever saw was either Genesis of the Daleks or the Chase, around the time I became a Transfan-in 1984. Or about the age of five. So a bit sorry I can't remember exactly. ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The first one I ever saw was either Genesis of the Daleks or the Chase, around the time I became a Transfan-in 1984. Or about the age of five. So a bit sorry I can't remember exactly. ;)
I'm not sure whether starting with Genesis would be a good or bad thing. The upside is that something that good is almost guaranteed to get you hooked. On the other hand, almost every other story is going to be a disappointment. It's like starting Star Trek by watching TWoK, or Star Wars with ESB.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, Seafort. I think that I'm still watching now is a testament to me being hooked. ;) "Do I have the right?" And the conversation between the Doctor and Davros about the power... sends shivers down my spine, even today.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think a greater testament to the show's ability to addict people is the fact that IIRC, my first experience with DW was "Image of the Fendahl" and I'm still a viewer. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Genesis of the Daleks was my proper introduction to Doctor Who also. Fell in love with Sarah Jane right there. And the scene between the Doctor and Davros is brilliant.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, admittedly, still not 100% sure if it was Genesis or The Chase. the image of a Dalek tumbling off the edge of the Marie Celeste screaming in fear is one of my favorite images of the little pepperpots. :poke: ;)