The Joke Thread

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Joke Thread

Post by Mikey »

Of, FFS...

#1 - The tanuki is, in Japanese folklore, both the actual animal as well as the spirit-form paragon of the animal - surely, the game's use of the tanuki suit reflects the conception of the tanuki kami/archetype as a shape-shifting spirit representing mischief, wealth, and commercial success. Surely if they game depicted a nine-tailed kitsune, nobody would be dumb enough to think it was supposed to be an actual disfigured fox?

#2 - Is anyone at PETA aware of the fact that no animals had to be skinned to code the suit in the game?

#3 - Everybody just ought to be glad that the tanuki wasn't portrayed traditionally. In Japan, tanuki spirits are commonly represented as having big pot-bellies, jugs of sake, and testicles up to or over 100% the size of their bodies.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tanuki spirits sound like quite the partying bunch...

What gets me is...why Mario? If they wanted to go after a video game (insane as it is), why not something like WoW, which is both in the same weight class and actually involves real virtual animal cruelty. I must have done a bazzillion fetch quests on WoW involving killing animal X in order to collect Y amount of skins/bones/claws/etc...
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Lighthawk wrote:Tanuki spirits sound like quite the partying bunch...

What gets me is...why Mario? If they wanted to go after a video game (insane as it is), why not something like WoW, which is both in the same weight class and actually involves real virtual animal cruelty. I must have done a bazzillion fetch quests on WoW involving killing animal X in order to collect Y amount of skins/bones/claws/etc...
Lighthawk wrote:This is too stupid to count as real news, so I'm putting it here.

PETA Protests Super Mario Over Raccoon Dog Suit
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are now protesting the popular video game due to the Tanooki suit found in the video game. The Tanooki suit is modeled after a Japanese raccoon suit known as a tanuki. This suit debuted in 1989 in Super Mario Bros 3 for Nintendo and has been present ever since.

The suit took center stage again when Super Mario 3D Land was released on November 3, 2011. Upon the release of this game, PETA pounced on America’s favorite plumber hero and is now protesting the game.

The use of the suit has remained constant in Super Mario 3D Land as it was in Super Mario Bros 3 – to be able to fly into the sky to collect coins or float past enemies. PETA is protesting the new release of Mario 3 for Nintendo DS claiming that the video game depicts Mario wearing the hide of the raccoon dog, which promotes the wearing of fur.

To help bring what PETA deems an atrocity to light, the organization has created their own version of the children’s video game named Super Super Tanooki Skin 2D. In it, Mario wears the carcass of a tanuki that is drenched in blood and even some of the animal’s bones remaining on it. The objective in the game is to chase after the bloody, flying Mario as the skinned raccoon dog to try to get your fur back. The logo of the game is possibly more disturbing than the game, as it turns the beloved Italian plumber into a murderous-looking villain.

PETA has set their sights on other video games prior to this, but one question I’ve heard a few times today is why have they not protested Mario before? After all, for years, Mario has been stealing the shells of turtles everywhere in the Mushroom kingdom, even the dead ones.
Source
Angry birds is next. :laughroll:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:Tanuki spirits sound like quite the partying bunch...

What gets ME is... if they're that concerned about tanukis, why waste time on a stupid video game in which NO animals are harmed? Why don't they go after the Chinese tanuki fur trade in which occurs some of the most gut-wrenching, stomach-turning, bile-raising, evil, heinous, sadisitic proclivities known to mankind? Seriously - men take tanukis from a pen, swing them by their back legs to beat them against the ground in order to dislocate the hip joints, beat them with batons to break some long bones, cut off the paws (yes, while the animals are alive,) hang them upside down and skin them (yes, while the animals are still alive,) then toss them (sans skins) into a large pile with the other slowly-dying, skinned tanukis. Supposedly, raccoon dogs emit a rather eerie squealing cry when subjected to such trauma; videos of the process show both the furriers and onlookers laughing at the process.
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Because when you have the whole PETA organization put together, you only have half a brain. And we're teaching our children to be cruel to animals through video games. DUH! :roll:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Always remember that PETA is as useful to their cause as the UN is to it's cause.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Always remember that PETA is as useful to their cause as the UN is to it's cause.
I think that's a bit harsh to the UN - they're rarely actively counter-productive, and they are useful at least one or two per cent of the time.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Doctor: We've took the x-ray, and your going to need to stop masturbating.
Patient: Why?
Doctor: It's very distracting.

Whoever put "Too Cool to Do Drugs" on a pencil is an Idiot, Every time you sharpen it, it changes to "Cool to Do Drugs", then "Do Drugs" and eventually "Drugs".

Bumped into my girlfriend's ex earlier.Begged him for another game of poker so he could have a chance to win her back.

I saw a fat bird down the pub, her T-shirt said - Watch out, I'm a maneater! I went up to her and said "Excuse me love, about your T-shirt slogan." She stopped me and angrily said "Oh let me guess, you want to know how many men I've eaten?! Well I can't help my size you know!" I said "Actually no, I wasn't going to say that at all." She looked happier and smiled as she said "Oh yes, what did you want to say then?."
"That's not how you spell Manatee."

If I ever got the chance to name a Road, I'd call it 'Skin Road'. Just so I could laugh at the people at number 4.

To neigh or not to neigh.

That is equestrian.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Griffin wrote:Doctor: We've took the x-ray, and your going to need to stop masturbating.
Patient: Why?
Doctor: It's very distracting.

Whoever put "Too Cool to Do Drugs" on a pencil is an Idiot, Every time you sharpen it, it changes to "Cool to Do Drugs", then "Do Drugs" and eventually "Drugs".

Bumped into my girlfriend's ex earlier.Begged him for another game of poker so he could have a chance to win her back.

I saw a fat bird down the pub, her T-shirt said - Watch out, I'm a maneater! I went up to her and said "Excuse me love, about your T-shirt slogan." She stopped me and angrily said "Oh let me guess, you want to know how many men I've eaten?! Well I can't help my size you know!" I said "Actually no, I wasn't going to say that at all." She looked happier and smiled as she said "Oh yes, what did you want to say then?."
"That's not how you spell Manatee."

If I ever got the chance to name a Road, I'd call it 'Skin Road'. Just so I could laugh at the people at number 4.

To neigh or not to neigh.

That is equestrian.

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Also: :bangwall:

And then: :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Lighthawk wrote:Snowblower for sale

That... is win.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I live in a climate that has snow once a decade and I'm considering putting in an offer!
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I had that snowblower, until SOMEONE told me that it was fine for the summer because she already put the Sta-bil in the gas when she hadn't really put Sta-bil in the gas. That guy is right - that snowblower is what snow has nightmares about.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Do I know any jokes about sodium?

Na.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

:picard:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.