Terra Nova

Everything else
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Terra Nova

Post by Tyyr »

I like it because it makes Quaritch a bit old fashioned and strongly in the "Officer and a Gentleman" vein. Hell, look at the way he dealt with the runaway. He might have wanted to pump her for information but he was willing to give her time to adjust and even tried to be personable with her to get her to not see him as such a monster.

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble taking the Sixers seriously as a threat? When they're lined up outside TN in Ep 3, was anyone else thinking that a couple snipers could have ended them? You pick of Myra, the gunners on the trucks, and most of the gun armed Sixers in one coordinated volley. You can mop up the rest of the gun armed ones as you'd have about 3:1 fire superiority, or more, and them with no cover. The ones armed only with melee weapons are just targets to be picked off at your leisure. They're something to be worried about as raiders and trouble makers but a serious threat to the survival of the colony, sorry but no.
I liked how Quaritch told the scientist guy to keep the box safe, so the guy sticks it in some random cabinet.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It seems to me that there are either more sixers (a lot more) or something else is going on that makes them a threat and we just don't know what yet.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:
I liked how Quaritch told the scientist guy to keep the box safe, so the guy sticks it in some random cabinet.
I thought that was a bit off myself.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It seems to me that there are either more sixers (a lot more) or something else is going on that makes them a threat and we just don't know what yet.
Even if there were a lot more you've got a gold plated chance to decapitate their leadership and eliminate a large number of them with very little risk to yourself. The group that came to confront and threaten TN included a large number of people armed with nothing more than axes. They were threatening armed and armored infantry in a defensive position, with axes.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:
Even if there were a lot more you've got a gold plated chance to decapitate their leadership and eliminate a large number of them with very little risk to yourself. The group that came to confront and threaten TN included a large number of people armed with nothing more than axes. They were threatening armed and armored infantry in a defensive position, with axes.

...with warpaint on.

My guess is that the security force for Terra Nova isn't that big and diverse to have a handful of snipers. Some of them could be somewhere else or perhaps not enough time to run and grab a weapon. But I think I am reaching.

I do agree though. Sixers don't seem like a big a threat.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Snipers is too narrow. At the ranges they were dealing with a guy familiar with using his sights properly could land a shot right in Myra's head.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ok... I got nothing. Power of Plot Strikes Again?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Finally got caught up on this...and it is making me sad. Right now, the only thing keeping me watching is the character interactions. Shit that's f'ed up, I'm watching a dinosaur show for the people...

What Remains: Proof that the Pilgrimage selection process is not strict enough. "I'm gunna use an airborne pathogen as the delivery system for my mind affecting gene therapy. What could go wrong with that?" But hey, Taylor got to be a badass and show his own people that he could snuff any of them at will if he was in the mood.

The Runaway: Oh boy, more sixers mystery stuff, and not even a token dinosaur. By the way, Mira, WTF is the point of taking hostages if you're just going to give them away for free? And not that she needed it, but after Jim picks up the idiot ball and goes out on his own to rescue the brother despite having no clue where to go, he must have passed it on to her as she again lets a valuable hostage just walk, with the brother, for free, and after Jim had managed to learn a potentially vital bit of intel in regards to finding the sixers, and even said it out loud in front of her. Seriously, how have these morons survived out in the wild? But hey, Taylor got to be a badass negotiator.

Bylaw: Well shit, there be a dinosaur in this dinosaur show, imagine that. Too bad the son continues to prove he's too stupid to be trusted to tie his own shoes. Though he's not much worse off than the barman, who just revealed himself to be a spy to the son of the only cop in town without bothering to feel the kid out at all. Luckily, the kid is more interested in bringing his girlfriend over to care about a potentially serious risk to the colony he'll be bring her too...you know, when he's not making out with Skyy. But hey, Taylor got to be a badass, doing a bit of dino hunting and setting up the dumb SOB murderer before kicking his ass and sending him packing.

Nightfall: Honestly, where to even begin? EMP via asteroid? The only piece of shielded equipment is the holographic tv in the basement? The chips in storage, fried too? What, even the fucking guns are so computerized they can't work at all? Sadly even Taylor's badassatude wasn't enough to overcome total power failure and a pissed off dino at the gates and stop intruders from making off with his son's mystery box all at once, though he came damn close, even after taking an arrow to the chest. The guy is clearly making an effort at being television's current top badass though, seeing as when the impact shockwave was racing towards the colony, he just stands there for a moment like he's sizing it up and trying to decide whether or not to just take the hit.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Maybe I'm jaded, but a lot of the "issues," with Terra Nova don't really phase me. For instance them inventing new dinosaurs species. Yeah, I'm sure the 700 species we know were the ONLY species that existed in 150+ million years. Them using dinosaurs from different areas, Carnotaurus being a South American species. Eh, so? I mean really, so? Who says Terra Nova isn't somewhere in South America, or that there wasn't a Carnotaurs look alike living in North America it dovetails with... Brachiosaurs not existing at this time period. Given their size and the time frame the "brachiosaurs," could have been Sauroposideons, or any other Titanosaur. Lets face it, would the average person be able to tell you that what you're looking at is a Griffotitan, Brachisaur, or Sauroposideon? No, Brachisaur is the most well known so any titanosaur conforming to that general appearence could very well be called a brachisaurus. Same thing goes for "Allosaurus," being named in one episode. Guess what, there were a lot of dinosaurs of Allosaurs general size and shape. Pretty much any member of the Allisauridaem Megalosauridae, or Carcharodontosauridae clades could pass for one to the untrained observer. There are also members of these groups that survived into the same time frame that Terra Nova exists in. Also, keep in mind that the people selected to live in Terra Nova are chosen for the skills they bring to the colony, not that they have double doctorates in whatever they are doing and in saurian palentology.

So yeah, get the fuck over it. Some things like the giant bugs are pure bullshit but as far as the dinos go there's nothing that requires you to freak out about the producers using the wrong dinos. Some require a bit more rationalization than other, Carnotaurs, but overall it's not really that had to explain things away.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Dinosaurs don't bother me. In fact I want to see more.

The teenager boy I want to bitchslap for being an idiot.

I puke rainbows from the cuteness of the little girl.