Star Wars : Empire at War

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Star Wars : Empire at War

Post by Deepcrush »

So I finally got the expansion on steam and I was just wondering who else here played?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars : Empire at War

Post by stitch626 »

Me. IMO it is only fun when you get mods.

The campaign is terrible story wise (again, IMO).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have played it many times. The campaign sucks though in the expansion, I did like the ending only for the 'beat the crap out of each other'.

I forgot what it's called but I played the maps. I always had small fleets of usually what added up to 20 along with a starbase to defend key planets. That's along with my main fleet that attacked and captured planets.

I can't play it anymore because of two things: the discs are stratched to holy hell and my disc drive is broke and have to use an external. The external drive doesn't work on all games. It doesn't work for Empire Earth and occasionally with Age of Empires 2.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I haven't played any of the mods though its something I'd like to look into.

The problem for me is how quickly the battles get same over and over again. What would make the game amazing would be the addition of more factions or larger fleets. The 20 or 25 point fleet system is nice as it lets even modest computers play, but I would love a 50 or 100 point option. On the plus side, the three faction Galactic Conquest mode is awesome! Really makes the day a trick to not get swamped.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Look for the Absolute Corruption Mod for the FOC expansion. It brings the count up to 50 for space and 10 for planets. Adds hundreds of new units (and rebalances old ones).

My only problem with it is that the Sovereign and Eclipse are too small, but that was because it would crash the game if they were to scale.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Got a link by chance?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well I can tell you this much... the TIE Defenders are just as sick in game as they are IU. If you ever run into a system that needs a solid beating, just build a full stack of TID/D's and send them in. They will destroy anything you come across. The come equipped with shields, lasers, ion, PTs and hyperdrive.

For as powerful as they are they should cost double what the game charges. Though for as much as the Venstar costs in the game, it should be a lot stronger. I noticed the Venstar isn't much better then an Acclamator minus the Venstar in FoC doesn't have any fighters or heavy guns... wtf???
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Deepcrush wrote:Got a link by chance?
Here

extra "plugin pack" for the mod here.

I'd also recommend UEAW, http://www.ultimate-empire-at-war.com/ , But I can't remember wether its for EAW or FOC.
For as powerful as they are they should cost double what the game charges. Though for as much as the Venstar costs in the game, it should be a lot stronger.
Damn, I used to be able to just edit stuff like that easily, I have got to get my modding skills back.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, they just cheated the Venstar in the expansion. It has no heavy guns, no fighters and rather poor shields. Its only two plus sides is that it only costs 1 fleet point and that its lasers have really long range. So it makes a great anti-anti-fighter ship. When I play as the Zaan, my favorite strike point is to take 5 battleships and 5 Venstars. The Venstars leading the way and soaking up the fire while my battleships get to use their lovely Massdrivers.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

stitch626 wrote:Look for the Absolute Corruption Mod for the FOC expansion. It brings the count up to 50 for space and 10 for planets. Adds hundreds of new units (and rebalances old ones).

My only problem with it is that the Sovereign and Eclipse are too small, but that was because it would crash the game if they were to scale.

It would take up the whole map too. The Executor is already powerful enough already.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wait, where is this mod??? A 50 point run in space would be crazy fun...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Just recently I got a new home computer after not having one for about 3 or 4 years. My "newest" game is the original SW Battlefield (or something like that). I keep thinking about getting a new game but I haven't pulled the trigger yet...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Starwars Battlefront, great game.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I played that on the PS2. Decent enough game. I liked the second one better with space combat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I was happy about getting the space combat, I just wish they would have done a better job with the cannon on the fighters.