Battle of the Week : Battle of Hoth

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Battle of the Week : Battle of Hoth

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Would not Dantooine have classed as a remote world like that? Unfortunate that they had to make a run for it.
It would have - it appears that at Dantooine, the rebs were able to bug out. Of course, we don't know how long Dantooine was abandoned when Leia mentioned it to Tarkin.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We don't know how long it took for them to leave, or how long they were there... but at Mikey pointed out, we know they were able to get away.

Hoth would have been okay if they were just using it for storage. As I said before, a few guys with some boxes and a workshop. Would have been perfect for a small outpost or stop off for rebel forces. But as the main HQ of the RA it was a horrible position.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:As to planetside base vs. just buying cap ships (which should likewise raise some eyebrows, but we can assume that there are sympathizers in Corellia and Mon Calamari,)
They had more than sympathisers on Mon Cal - the entire planet was on their side, and had defences strong enough to make taking the system to expensive a prospect to be worth the effort, even for the Empire. Corellia is another matter though. While they certainly had sympathisers (starting with the local Senator) the Diktat was both too strong and too strong a supporter of the Empire for the shipyards to be turned to the Alliance's aims in the way Mon Cal's were.
Deepcrush wrote: The more I've read about the Rebel Alliance, the more it looked less and less like an Alliance and more like a bunch of gangs.
Or an Alliance of gangs? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:They had more than sympathisers on Mon Cal - the entire planet was on their side, and had defences strong enough to make taking the system to expensive a prospect to be worth the effort, even for the Empire. Corellia is another matter though. While they certainly had sympathisers (starting with the local Senator) the Diktat was both too strong and too strong a supporter of the Empire for the shipyards to be turned to the Alliance's aims in the way Mon Cal's were.
The aid of Corellia would have been best spent with recruiting troops and pilots. Fighters and capital ships were best left to people like the Mon Cal or private business owners on the outer rim.
Captain Seafort wrote:Or an Alliance of gangs?
If only they could manage to work together. Combined, the RA was extremely well funded and supplied... but much like the Eldar of 40k. They just couldn't bring themselves together.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu