Throw them out of the nearest airlock...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Throw them out of the nearest airlock...

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:We're gunna need a bigger airlock
Thanks, Sherriff Brody. ;)
Reliant121 wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Maybe its just me but as far as characters go, Pulaski just didn't really bother me that much. She had a habit of stepping out of her place as CMO and trying to boss the Ship's Captain... though it could be argued he needed a talking down from time to time.
I think this is one of the reasons I didn't mind her. Generally, she picked a fight with Picard when he was being a pompous, self righteous cock and needed someone to tell him that.
The CMO's place is to question - even override - the skipper when his status is medically in doubt, NOT when she takes it upon herself to assume herself equal in rank to the captain.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

As far as I am aware, she did no such thing. She merely challenged when perhaps Picard hoisted himself upon his petard. Sure enough, this is more appropriate to the role of XO, But she was equally entitled in terms of rank to Riker. My memory of early TNG is sketchy, I've only seen the odd rerun but she never seemed to be particularly insubordinate.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess my issue isn't with her in particular, but with the apparent attitude of Starfleet in general to the chain of command. Insubordination, or at least disrespect of spoken commands, seems to be par for the course in degrees of magnitude which I didn't allow when I ran a simple record store.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Now that I can understand. Although, if my captain was Janeway I'd be glad of the leniency on insubordination.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Pulaski didn't bug me too much. It just bugged me how she initially treated Data. I always felt that was forced.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

McAvoy wrote:Pulaski didn't bug me too much. It just bugged me how she initially treated Data. I always felt that was forced.
I agree. Mostly because Data was one of my favourite characters back then, her attitude towards him bugged me. But I think I liked her more because she wasn't such a goody goody utopian a lot of the others seemed to be.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

McAvoy wrote:Pulaski didn't bug me too much. It just bugged me how she initially treated Data. I always felt that was forced.
I agree. Mostly because Data was one of my favourite characters back then, her attitude towards him bugged me. But I think I liked her more because she wasn't such a goody goody utopian a lot of the others seemed to be.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I was going to say Eddington but I think I was more annoyed by the actor who played him.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

thelordharry wrote:I was going to say Eddington but I think I was more annoyed by the actor who played him.
Really? I thought he was an awesome addition to Trek. So so so so SOOOOO often we see the image that everyone has to love the UFP if they are a part of it. Eddington, and the Maquis as a whole... but really it came out with Eddington, just spit in the face of that. He was also a great reminder of what Sisko had lost in his friend Hudson.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The idea of Eddington wasn't bad... but the character was so preachy and annoying about it.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The anti-UFP preachy, a nice slap in the face to the preachy Federation.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have no issue with t idea of the character and the idea of the Maquis, but Eddington (or the actor who played him) was portrayed as a downright creepy, sycophantic, almost sadistic little asshole who spent most of his time trying to fly his high and mighty ideals with the nation formed on high and mighty ideals; usually not doing a very good job of it. He was just...unpleasant or grating to me.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think Starfleet Academy must have an entire required course track for Monologuing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:I think Starfleet Academy must have an entire required course track for Monologuing.
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:I think Starfleet Academy must have an entire required course track for Monologuing.
I wouldn't doubt it honestly. Problem is that Kirk was the last person to pass it.