Character of the Week : John Sheridan

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Character of the Week : John Sheridan

Post by Deepcrush »

We've talked bit by bit about this guy in the past. Favorite captain votes and such.

But the main question is what do you think of John Sheridan overall? Hero of the Earth/Minbari War, leader of the Army of Light, leader of the Loyalist Forces in the Earth Alliance Civil War, leader of the ISA, Chosen of the First Ones and founder of the Earth/Minbari Alliance.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Character of the Week : John Sheridan

Post by kostmayer »

Bit of a God complex, but definitely the right guy for the job. He'd knew when to fight, when to be diplomatic, and when to tell the other Ambasadors to go screw themselves.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

As much as I dislike the man, he had a perfect knack for judging the situation. Judging the situation and doing the right thing at the right time takes a lot of skill and he did it almost every time.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

He is the Jesus of Babylon 5.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

He gets brought back to life by Lorien, and nobody questions anything. Garibaldi gets rescued, and everybody is suspicious. But John Sheridan is the main character, so he is always right.

I'd like to have seen John Sheridan go too far, taking his mandate from god (Lorien) and becoming too full of himself. Let some of the propaganda from Earth have basis in fact, and Sheridan's allies know they need him, but wishing they could bring back Jack to talk to Sheridan.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:He is the Jesus of Babylon 5.
Minus he took part in war, spent his life killing people and believed in firepower over faith... :poke:
Coalition wrote:He gets brought back to life by Lorien, and nobody questions anything. Garibaldi gets rescued, and everybody is suspicious. But John Sheridan is the main character, so he is always right.

I'd like to have seen John Sheridan go too far, taking his mandate from god (Lorien) and becoming too full of himself. Let some of the propaganda from Earth have basis in fact, and Sheridan's allies know they need him, but wishing they could bring back Jack to talk to Sheridan.
The difference was that Sheridan was already known to be chosen by the First Ones. So that kills a lot of suspicion right there. The problem with having JJS being even partly what the propaganda from Clark showed would be the loss of the Hero. Its not that he was always right, or all powerful, but more that he could inspire people to do right. In order for that though, he needed his co-heroes and I say co-heroes because without them there wouldn't have been a JJS.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu