TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Is official. Trekmovie link. Text of story is below. Trailer and a photo comparison is in the link.
Star Trek: TNG Remastered is official – Coming To Blu-Ray In 2012 [Updated] September 28, 2011
by Matt Wright , Filed under: DVD/Blu-ray, TNG , trackback

Two weeks ago we reported on new details for the Star Trek: The Next Generation – Remastered project. As was rumored, today CBS has made details of the project official. All 178 episodes will be re-scanned from the original films elements and visual effects elements will be re-composited into a 1080p workflow for mastering onto Blu-ray and runs on syndicated television and digital distribution (i.e. Netflix) both domestically and internationally.

The long rumored effort to remaster Star Trek The Next Generation is confirmed! Just in time for the 25th anniversary in 2012. CBS has once again shown its commitment to the Star Trek franchise by remastering it in HD. Each of the 178 episodes from The Next Generation’s seven seasons will be transferred to high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world.

The remastering process

CBS is starting from scratch using the original film negatives, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994.
Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned from the film elements available.
The freshly cut film will be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio.
Work is being done in conjunction with Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.
Aspect ratio for Blu-ray release is the original aspect ratio as it aired on televsion – 1.33:1 (4:3) - confirmed by TrekMovie.com and The Digital Bits

Release date

The sampler as was discussed yesterday now has an announced release date of January 31, 2012 with a suggested retail price of $21.99. With all seven seasons to follow.

More detail and better color timing already apparent

Even with the teaser flash video more detail is obvious. This is especially true for the Enterprise model in the credits. Trek Core has a comparison page already up with more images comparing the DVD version to the trailer footage.

Full Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION®
TO BE AVAILABLE IN HIGH-DEFINITION FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER FOR ITS 25TH ANNIVERSARY

Star Trek: The Next Generation® – The Next Level Blu-ray Disc™ Will Be Released On January 31, 2012

Complete First Season Blu-ray Available Later in 2012

LOS ANGELES – September 28, 2011 – The beloved series STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® will be transferred to high-definition for the first time ever and released on Blu-ray™, it was announced today by Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Home Entertainment.

All 178 episodes from seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release on Blu-ray and eventual runs on television and digital platforms both domestically and internationally.

“Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® for years,” said Ross. “Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases.”

Transferring STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® to high-definition presented numerous challenges – The series was originally shot on film and then transferred to videotape, which was used to edit episodes together. In order to create true HD masters, CBS is going back to the original uncut film negative – all 25,000 plus film reels of it – and cutting the episodes together exactly the way they originally aired. The visual effects were all shot on film and will be painstakingly recompositioned, not upconverted from videotape. The newly cut film will then be transferred to true high-definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. Denise and Mike Okuda are consulting on the project.

While the first full season won’t be available until later in 2012, CBS Home Entertainment is releasing STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® – THE NEXT LEVEL, a single Blu-ray disc to give fans a taste of the series in HD, on January 31, 2012. The disc will include the feature-length pilot – “Encounter at Farpoint” – as well as two more “fan favorite” episodes, “The Inner Light” (Season 5) and “Sins of the Father” (Season 3). The single disc will be available for a suggested retail price of $21.99.

One of the most popular series in the STAR TREK franchise, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2012. It premiered in first-run syndication during the week of September 28, 1987 and ran through 1994.

Set in the 24th century on the Starship Enterprise, about 100 years after the original STAR TREK series took place, the series starred Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Jonathan Frakes as Commander William T. Riker, LeVar Burton as Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge, Marina Sirtis as Counselor Deanna Troi, Brent Spiner as Lt. Commander Data, Michael Dorn as Lieutenant Worf, Gates McFadden as Dr. Beverly Crusher and Wil Wheaton as her son Wesley Crusher.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® won numerous accolades, including 18 Emmy® awards, and was the first – and only – syndicated television show to be nominated for the Emmy® for Outstanding Drama Series for its seventh season. It was also ranked #46 on TV Guide’s 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time list in 2002
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

Post by stitch626 »

Awesome. Though I wonder if a few things will be "fixed" (phaser from the torps as an example).

If I get the money, I would buy the complete set. Though I still need to buy the TOS set.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In HD we'll be able to count the hairs on Captain Picard's head. :lol:

I'm not huge on the canon thing myself but fixing things would make for contradictory canon; I suppose you'd have to take the original aired clips over the remakes. It wouldn't bother me overly, nor most people except a few (looks around forum).

If in a few more years today's HD is low-def, will we all have to do a third round of re-purchases of box sets?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I very seriously doubt that they'll bother doing anything to the episodes but remastering them.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I very seriously doubt that they'll bother doing anything to the episodes but remastering them.
The article even said that they'll change things back to what original film versions contained, without going so far as to alter the tape masters. I don't think we'll see much in the way of actual changes to the eps.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Three of the series' most beloved and classic episodes: Encounter at Farpoint..." :roll:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I suppose you'd have to take the original aired clips over the remakes.
Why? The most logical course would be to take the most recent version as canon.
It wouldn't bother me overly, nor most people except a few (looks around forum).
On the other hand, changes could significantly improve some the episodes. Rascals-R: Riker Shoots First. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Maybe they could redo Yesterdays Enterprise as it was meant to be. Electrocuted Data and decapitated Wesley.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

... decapitated Wesley
Yes please. :)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I wonder what Wesley's sweaters will look like...
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: TNG-R Next Generation Rem[url=astered

Post by Mikey »

I can't help but think of this.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Considering how much more expensive Blu-Ray is over DVDs, the series would seriously break the bank on many fans.

Personally, if they do alter or fix anything beyond touchups, it would be the phaser from the torp tube, or whatever that beam was from the yacht in Farpoint. Small stuff.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Considering how much more expensive Blu-Ray is over DVDs, the series would seriously break the bank on many fans.
Buying the series now would be bloody expensive, as Chuck pointed out in his Neutral Zone review.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I bought the whole series when they were over $100 a piece on both TNG, TOS and DS9. That is well over $2,100. So unless this Blu-Ray is reasonable I plan on not buying them until I win the lottery or Wal-Mart starts selling them at half price.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've got all six series already on DVD. No, I do not need to rebuy them, nor do I want to.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've got all six series already on DVD.
:?