The "perfect" Trek show

Trek Books, Games and General chat
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The "perfect" Trek show

Post by McAvoy »

Simple but nice. Maybe abit too formulatic if that is a word.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Sorry to bring it down but mine would start with a firing squad. Wesley Crusher,Captain Janeway (no admiral in my uiverse) and the entire Pakled race lined up and disintergrated with no chance of plot shields saving them. Then we can start making a series, with options to bring firing squads back in the future.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yes, "formulaic" is indeed a word.

It'd be tough to make the Klingons go back to being TOS-style baddies... Martok isn't the only Klingon with common sense enough to read the handwriting on the wall of the palace, and some of the others who do/did are/were in pretty significant positions. Good point on the Kazons, Seafort... especially considering that stupid = easily manipulated by the more intelligent local powers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Simple but nice. Maybe abit too formulatic if that is a word.
The formula is what works about Star Trek, though. The more they've gone away from it, the less successful the shows have been.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:It'd be tough to make the Klingons go back to being TOS-style baddies...
In a number of "alternate" futures on TNG and VOY, we saw that relations with the Klingons are strained at best in the early 24th century. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Strained, sure. But by DS9 the KE was hopelessly intertwined with the UFP, far too much to allow for the cessation of all relationships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Strained, sure. But by DS9 the KE was hopelessly intertwined with the UFP, far too much to allow for the cessation of all relationships.
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:It'd be tough to make the Klingons go back to being TOS-style baddies...
In a number of "alternate" futures on TNG and VOY, we saw that relations with the Klingons are strained at best in the early 24th century. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch.
Indeed. If I recall correctly, it's doubtful any of those "alternate" futures properly took the Dominion War into account...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Strained, sure. But by DS9 the KE was hopelessly intertwined with the UFP, far too much to allow for the cessation of all relationships.
On the contrary - DS9 demonstrated just how fragile UFP-Klingon relations are, given that they went to war twice during the course of the series. If you're talking about the integration of UFP and Klingon strategic planning during the war then I point you towards the problems encountered in persuading the Klingons to participate in Op Return, and the fact that by the end of the war the Romulans were just as integrated as the Klingons, and they very nearly went to war with the Feds before the decade was out. The alliance is one of convenience, nothing more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Indeed. If I recall correctly, it's doubtful any of those "alternate" futures properly took the Dominion War into account...
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic, did you just quote yourself or edit? If it's the latter, how the fuck did that just happen? :?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:Sonic, did you just quote yourself or edit? If it's the latter, how the fuck did that just happen? :?
... The fuck? I have no idea. I think what happened was, I mis-ordered the quotes in the first post. I wanted to quote Tsuki then Mikey, so after clicking submit but before the screen changed I hit the "X/Stop" button in Firefox. Then I re-ordered the quotes and submitted the post again .... apparently just after you did.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:laughroll:

I'm with Seafort though. The Klingons overall would not stand to join the Federation. Heck, the Federation couldn't ever accept them as members without throwing away their membership requirements (then again, they throw away everything else when it works for them).

I could see a maybe peace lasting until the Empire gets bored. And, with the destruction of Romulus, and with the Federation likely helping out (accepting refugees and the like), I could see the Klingons getting more opposed to peace with the Federation.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What ever the idea what they need to do is have a loss arc that covers the entire show with smaller arcs for seasons or even a few seasons (ala Dominion war) and no magic reset button.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

What about a show set in the Mirror Universe? Dark, Gritty, Edgy, Macabre Sense of Humor, and we can do whatever the F we want w/ much less 'canon' to get in the way of things, and in whatever time frame suits our interests.

And I can't recall, but I don't think VOY had a Mirror Universe story. One of the best ENT shows was the Mirror Universe (IMHO) w/ the cool alternate intro and all that... Mirror Universe Sells, Baby...! :wave:
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I don't think it would work very well. Ratings would shoot thruogh the ceiling if you take enough into account, producers would demand to soften it up a bit to appeal to other demographics and being evil all the time could be boring in due time. Worlds working to reversed principles rarely hold out for more than a few continued episodes. A whole series is going to be too mind boggling, as you'll need to explain more and more and you will get lost in trying to explain the mirror universe.
No, although some visits can be paid to the mirror universe, it shouldn't be a complete series on its own.