'Trek to return???

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

'Trek to return???

Post by Mikey »

Producer David Foster may have a new 'Trek series in the works, according to TrekWeb. Will it happen? Can a modern 'Trek series stick to Roddenberry's vision? The Shadow knows...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: 'Trek to return???

Post by Captain Seafort »

Worth a crack. I like the idea of it being post-Voyager, so long as it's far enough ahead to give it some room to manoeuvre in terms of back story, etc.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I said all along, it's never been a matter of whether there would be a new Trek series, it's purely a matter of when. Trek has become the sort of property that Sherlock Holmes or Superman is - no matter how badly any individual incarnation does, sooner or later the pendulum will swing back around.
The Ferengi have discovered a vast new resource that has propelled them towards instant riches and power beyond anything they have previously experienced.”
Playing up the Ferengi at all is a mistake. They were a bad idea, badly done, and only really useful for comic relief.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed on both counts. A decent enough IU span of time will allow for the sort of "revivalism" that the article discussed. A restless contingent within the Klingon Empire is a great idea and in keeping with the TOS theme; anything short of an event whihc completely somehow reboots the idea of the Ferengi will fall short of making them a serious addendum to the 'Trek universe.
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Was never that convinced by Rom, but Quark and Nog made for some great storylines and character development. On the whole though the species just struck me as unreallistic, and unthreatening.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The Ferengi are okay for bit parts here and there, or even MAYBE 1 recurring character on a starship. But not as a major role in an entire series.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Maybe the Ferengi are being retconned from shitty merchants to evil bankers?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm, the Ferengi are rich, but it doesn't say anything about them being powerful militarily. This should be... fascinating.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The Ferengi were a joke as a real Big BadTM, so were changed into caricatures of the most evil of capitalistic evils. The problem is that there's a terminal velocity as to how bad that can truly be for a moneyless society.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think using the Ferengi in a larger role is intrinsically a mistake. If they don't try to develop them or do anything with them then yes, it will bomb. However if they are reworked they could be an excellent part of a new series. Imagine a series set post Voyager. Romulus is blown to hell, the Empire is falling apart. Relations between the Fed and the Klingons are disintegrating. The Cardassians are starting to seriously rebuild. In this mess are the Ferengi, ostensibly neutral and just traders but behind the scenes are manipulative bastards. Everyone, including the Federation, needs them but no one can trust them. You don't know which side they may be on except for their own but you still have to work with them. Meanwhile the Ferengi are doing their best to keep things stirred up and even getting worse believing that the turmoil is what brought them their great fortune and keeping it going is what will maintain it.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I wonder... the article does say they will disregard the movie reboot as it is an alternate universe. But will they incorporate the destruction of Romulus? They should, logically. But I suspect they won't.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If they did that would be an awesome tie in. But your probly right. :(
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Pity the Romulans. They always get their asses kicked in just about any future. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The movie reboot pretty explicitly lays out that in the Prime universe Romulus is toast and everything else is an alternate reality.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Youch... will it be another BSG retread like SG:U was? just say no!!!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...