Stargate: Universe Cancelled.

JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Stargate: Universe Cancelled.

Post by JudgeKing »

McAvoy wrote:If I remember correctly, Universe was only a concept when Atlantis was cancelled. I was also under the impression that money was already set aside from MGM for two Stargate movies.

I thought the Atlantis sets have been torn down already?
The movies were essentially cancelled as well sadly.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mostly because MGM is near-bankrupt.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well originally even when MGM was near bankruptcy they set aside money specifically for Stargate movies. Originally two then it was later merger into one. Rumor has it that it would have dealt with Earth learning of the Stargate Program and Atlantis returning to the Pegasus Galaxy.

I honestly do not see Stargate going away for good. Maybe in two or three years it will be back. Hopefully not at as a reboot.

Universe was just too away from the core of the both SG-1 and Universe. It is sad that the series just started to get good towards the end. Espeically with the whole Second Destiny arc which I found quite refreshing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Other than the stargates themselves Universe had NONE of the feeling and substance that made SG1 and SGA enjoyable. SGU had more in common with BSG. THe characters were hollow, i felt no connection to any of them, I didn't care if they lived or died. I ended up just watching for the FX and out of hopes that a guest star would actually pump some life into the cast.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is the general feeling about the series. Universe had too much of nuBSG and not enough Stargate in it. Personally, I'd arather had them finish Atlantis first then do Universe. The other problem is that the pacing was too slow.

You honestly can not have a series where it starts to pick up during the last half of the second season. You need to do that in the first half of the first season. Build up a fanbase first which is somethign Universe did not do. Instead it took away from the established Stargate fanbase as being too different.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:You honestly can not have a series where it starts to pick up during the last half of the second season. You need to do that in the first half of the first season.
Most first seasons are pretty dire - look at all the post-TOS Trek for example. Even SG-1 didn't get into its stride until a couple of seasons in. The priority for the first season is to establish the setting and to demonstrate future potential.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

While I do agree with that, you could say that with at least Star Trek there was a huge following with them to keep them afloat. Even then that didn't save Enterprise.

Stargate SG-1 was a completely new series. Either you develop a fanbase or you don't and then get cancelled. Stargate Universe was a Stargate series which had a fanbase already established. With the name Stargate Universe it also means that people will avoid it. Universe turned away many fans of the other two series, which left only some new viewers and some hardcore fans were left.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Ok, i went through the second season and i can't believe they canceled it just like that.
So much potential, the crew were just putting together and learning how to operate the ship.
Nice cliffhanger with everybody but eli going into the pods, and now what? they should give us at least a movie.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

SomosFuga wrote:Ok, i went through the second season and i can't believe they canceled it just like that.
So much potential, the crew were just putting together and learning how to operate the ship.
Nice cliffhanger with everybody but eli going into the pods, and now what? they should give us at least a movie.

Well like I said above, really the pacing was too slow. It took until the second season for the series to pick up is bad for a TV show in today's environment. Rising costs, and dwindling viewership (torrents, internet etc) is one of the reasons why even only ten years ago a season was between 22 to 26 episodes but now most if not all of them are down to 20 and some even down to only 12 per season.

Two things I like about the cliffhanger, is that is does close the series abit if not perfectly. The second is that it does give some opening to a future pickup even if that is unlikely.

Have to face it, SGU will never come back. MGM is bankrupt and until it fixes itself or sells off the rights to Stargate, we will have to wait.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I have just got around to watching season one of SG-U and I think its pretty good. Totally differnt to SG-1 which is great and SG-A which I didnt like at all, but that a big positive for me. I would have hates just another "Lets go through the star gate" but in a third galaxy. I think they handled it great.

The characters were suitably dark and had real lastly grudges and bonds unlike Voyager where eveyry one was happy after 3 episodes.

The slow discovery of the ship was nicely paced and ther wasnt some shitty anoomoly of the week or random aliien X every epsiode.

I fact it seems the read why people hated Voyager and did the exact opposite.

I am just starting on season 2 now and am annoyed to see it canceled.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Pretty much the way I felt, Teaos.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Same for me. I really liked the show and I felt like it really could have grown into a great show
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

yeap, same here
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I thought that the show was simply boring. None of the things that made SG1 enjoyable were present in SGU, NONE. They tried to remake the "quality drama television" aspect of BSG and failed. There is a huge difference between being "quality" and being good. "Quality" BSG barely lasted 4 seasons and less than 75 episodes. SG1 ran 10 seasons and over 210 episodes. There was a reason, SG1 was good and people actually enjoyed watching it. SGU picked the flavor of the day, "quality" and didn't realize yet that it wa the wrong formula for an actual successful series. Thankfully, they took SGU out back and shot it after 2 seasons. Had they followed the SG1 model, SGU would probably STILL be on the air.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...