If you could...

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

If you could...

Post by Deepcrush »

Take control of one faction in the 40k universe who would it be? It's one of those questions that we've all asked ourselves, but now I want to hear who and why from others.

My first choice would be the Orks. Mostly because I think it would be fun to rule them under a single banner and see what could be done with them as a united force. Literally endless armies, always eager for a fight and very well motivated. First target for me would be The Eye of Terror! Pay the Chaos Gods a Deepcrush styled house call. We can take bets on if the IoM let's me pass into the EoT.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: If you could...

Post by Mikey »

Hmm, tougher question than it looks like. My first instinct would be one of two factions:

1) The Necrons. Take all that bad-assery and mold into a cohesive force - make real armies, and sweep across the stars instead of just waiting until some sap stumbles across a Tomb World.

2) The Eldar. No, wait, hear me out. Unite the Craftworlds, have them actually get their noses wet instead of waiting around for a "sign," use the Harlequins as a real spec-ops force. Aspect Warriors, Harlequins, Rangers, and the Avatar - all without the general wussiness that means "Eldar." They could be bad-ass.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

An incredibly challenging question as I'm torn between the urge to "win" the universe as such and my own personal preference.

I suppose If I wanted to rule I'd be hard pressed to choose other than either the Orks or the Tyrannids. Either has an almighty capability to procreate/self-replicate. If the orks or the various hive fleets could unite, they would be almost unstoppable due to numbers alone. Only the Necrons I think could stop such an almighty wave of death and that would require the Necrons to stop being intergalactic teenagers and get out of damn bed.

However, for the faction that likely suits me best, it would probably be the Tau. The clean, logical and entirely ordered way of waging warfare suits me perfectly. I don't particularly do the getting hands dirty thing so the ranged specialization, the clinical approach to tactical and strategic supremacy suits me down to the ground.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Depends on my level of control. Absolute, I'd take the Imperium. Limited, I'll take one Sororitas shrine world and be done with it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:The clean, logical and entirely ordered way of waging warfare suits me perfectly. I don't particularly do the getting hands dirty thing so the ranged specialization, the clinical approach to tactical and strategic supremacy suits me down to the ground.
Besides, you've got Kroot and Vespids to do your dirty work. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But you're also so insignificant that you'd be squashed if an Imperial battlefleet took a wrong turn.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That's why I gave one of two options. The "winning" option and the "option that suits me best".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:But you're also so insignificant that you'd be squashed if an Imperial battlefleet took a wrong turn.
The existence of gue'vasa says a bit differently.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

If my very word was law and none would dare think of disagreeing with me, the Imperium. Step one, smack the tech-priests around until they get over their "new science is bad" mind-set and get mankind back into the groove of scientific advancement.

If it was a more limited control, the Tau, since they're still advancing and if they can survive a few centuries they should overtake just about everyone if the current status quo holds.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:2) The Eldar. No, wait, hear me out. Unite the Craftworlds, have them actually get their noses wet instead of waiting around for a "sign," use the Harlequins as a real spec-ops force. Aspect Warriors, Harlequins, Rangers, and the Avatar - all without the general wussiness that means "Eldar." They could be bad-ass.
Totally agree on this, if the Eldar spent as much effort in rebuilding their race as they do in running away from anything that could rebuild their race... they'd be gold.
Reliant121 wrote:However, for the faction that likely suits me best, it would probably be the Tau. The clean, logical and entirely ordered way of waging warfare suits me perfectly. I don't particularly do the getting hands dirty thing so the ranged specialization, the clinical approach to tactical and strategic supremacy suits me down to the ground.
Plus, very little internal problems.
Mikey wrote:
Tyyr wrote:But you're also so insignificant that you'd be squashed if an Imperial battlefleet took a wrong turn.
The existence of gue'vasa says a bit differently.
Considering the Tau did face off against an Imperial Battlefleet... won, and then fought eleven Astartes Chapters and as many Imperial Sector Fleets plus Ultramar to a stalemate...

I wouldn't under rate the Tau Empire. They may not be on the scale of the IoM or strong enough to really start a serious war. But they aren't push overs either.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh, and btw, its a matter of TOTAL AND UNQUESTIONED control.

If you're the IoM then you're the God-Emperor of Mankind, if you're the Orks then you are Gork/Mork, Necrons then you are the supreme C'Tan (you killed the others), Eldar then you're Khane.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Then IoM all the way. The only thing holding them back is their refusal to advance in any way. Remove that, look at stream lining some of the bureaucracy, and pretty soon the only "threat" left will be the Nis.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

What Tyyr said. The only thing keeping human kind from owning the galaxy is their technological stagnation.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think that if the Orks united and the IoM cleaned up... The war would be awesome!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Very.

Well the source material says that at their height humanity wouldn't have had anything to worry about in the galaxy, even the Nids would be a minor inconvenience. So we've got a goal. First on the list, making nice with the Tau and seeing what could be done with their tech.