Games Bombing

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Games Bombing

Post by Tyyr »

Well, a few days ago I updated Windows like it prompted me to, no big deal. Didn't do anything else computer related at the time and headed off to bed. The next night I sit down to play World of Tanks with my boy*. Launcher comes up, I hit play, the game goes to launch and... boom, "World of Tanks has stopped working."

Ok... fuck. So I figure we'll play something else. I try Mass Effect. Same thing, the launcher comes up, I hit play, the game hangs and then crashes to desktop. I've tried this with every game I have on my computer and its the same thing every time. The game crashes as soon as it tries to lauch. The dialogue box offers up no specific error codes or anything either. The only game that will run just fine is Java based Minecraft.

Since the only significant thing done to my computer prior to this was the update I'm thinking something in the update is fucking with something all these games use. Could the update have torpedo'd DirectX or something?

*Seriously, the kid loves the game. Demands I play his favorite tanks and can identify most by sight. I've even got him watching TV with me or reading a book and he'll point to a tank. "That's a T-34 daddy! That's a KV, it's tough. OHHH! A Tiger, it's got a big gun! It's a STUG!!! The kid loves the StuG III.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Games Bombing

Post by Nickswitz »

It should have created a recovery point previous to the update, also you can check what was updated and uninstall those updates and see if that works. This is all within the windows update window. When your at the Windows Update screen go to Installed Updates and look for anything you installed on the day it stopped working, uninstall them, and see if they work then.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have similar issues with games as well, but not all of them. Some of them is hit or miss if they work which makes sense since most of the games I currently play are more than 10 years old. Which in 'computer years' is like 200 years old.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mine are all 5 years or less, and my computer is only about 6 months old. They literally all died on the same day. Different developers, different companies, all died. That's why I figure it's got to be something like DirectX doing it.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Hey, I play world of tanks to atm. :mrgreen:

Altough I think both US and german tanks are horrible underpowered compared to russian ones :evil:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Check if any of the updates are drivers for your graphics card, that would also do it. I can't remember the last DirectX update I've seen. They don't release many updates to it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I went through and tried each update. Turns out it was Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. I'm going to have to look into this more.

And yeah, the Russians are OP, surely that has nothing to do with the developers being Russian.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Tyyr wrote:I went through and tried each update. Turns out it was Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. I'm going to have to look into this more.

And yeah, the Russians are OP, surely that has nothing to do with the developers being Russian.
Service Pack 1? SP2 for WIn 7 isn't out yet.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'll have to look it back up, I got it working again a few days ago.