Prometheus

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Prometheus

Post by McAvoy »

While that is true. But the biggest problem I found I was reading that forum is the lack of common sense or intelligence and it is in a greater proportion than I have seen in a long time. Perhaps because Stargate is still fresh where as Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5 (sort of) have been around for a much longer time allowing for time to weed out idiots.

Yeah, I just love the whole concept of Fivers thinking ships are made out of 20x steel with no evidence except throwing a number out of their ass. Same goes for the 3 million Clone Troopers fighting a galactic war against an army numbered in the same article in quadrillions.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:While that is true. But the biggest problem I found I was reading that forum is the lack of common sense or intelligence and it is in a greater proportion than I have seen in a long time.
You ought to get out more often. :wink:
Perhaps because Stargate is still fresh where as Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5 (sort of) have been around for a much longer time allowing for time to weed out idiots.
Weed out the idiots? They're as active as ever.
Yeah, I just love the whole concept of Fivers thinking ships are made out of 20x steel with no evidence except throwing a number out of their ass.
The worst I've heard of is that since Minbari ships can't be so weak as to be destroyed by low-kT incident energy, the Black Star must have survived Sheridan's attack. Hence his well-known nickname of Starslightlydamager. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:While that is true. But the biggest problem I found I was reading that forum is the lack of common sense or intelligence and it is in a greater proportion than I have seen in a long time.
You ought to get out more often. :wink:
Perhaps because Stargate is still fresh where as Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5 (sort of) have been around for a much longer time allowing for time to weed out idiots.
Weed out the idiots? They're as active as ever.
Yeah, I just love the whole concept of Fivers thinking ships are made out of 20x steel with no evidence except throwing a number out of their ass.
The worst I've heard of is that since Minbari ships can't be so weak as to be destroyed by low-kT incident energy, the Black Star must have survived Sheridan's attack. Hence his well-known nickname of Starslightlydamager. :roll:
:bangwall:

It is true that I am not on every single forum out there so i can't really say how bad some fans really are. Though I know about the whole Mando-better-than-everyone-because-Traviss-plays-with-herself-in-front-of-a-Boba-Fett-poster-and-Jedi-sucks, Fandolorian shit. But that is only because of the amount of people bitching about her and it is entertaining.

Can't really say anything about Star Trek beyond the whole versus thing where Trek wins because it looks more advanced.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Can't really say anything about Star Trek beyond the whole versus thing where Trek wins because it looks more advanced.
Avoiding getting into the versus argument, that's where some of the more insane Trekkie stuff comes from:
  • Wars humans are born with big lumps of metal in their spine
    The Rebel fleet spent several days travelling from Sullust to Endor
    No lasers of any strength can penetrate the E-D's nav deflector
    Lucas' own employees are wrong about their own official canon policy
    The Millennium Falcon's maximum weapons range is 200m
    And so on
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I was avoiding the whole versus thing. The whole Trek thing I said is a generalization thing.

Forgot about the whole lasers thing.

Big lumps of metal in their spine? Never heard that one.

I generally avoiud versus because that's where the rabid fans like to play.

Back to the Gateworld forums, something I noticed is that there is a large percentage of posters who seem at least to be still teenagers or younger. So anyway during my research, I had to skim through topics to get to the more meatier ones because of the general 'me-toos' I kept on seeing.

As far as scaling is concerned, 302s size has to remain constant because it was an actual set piece and you can gauge the size of it on the people in it. For example, one of the more interesting things is the general idea that the 303 is smaller than the 304. Obviously we can't really compare it side by side, but by scaling it with established sizes like 302s and Puddlejumpers etc. There is no evidence that the 303 is smaller or bigger than the 304. But it is accepted. I am not saying I don't agree with it though. Just interesting.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Big lumps of metal in their spine? Never heard that one.
When Vader was hit by the Emperor's lightening, it had a sort of X-ray effect, allowing an examination of his skeleton, and the modifications thereto. Among these modifications were several large, blocky, and obviously artificial structures in his upper spinal column, replacing the bone. The idiot in question argued that these structures "may simply represent the natural order of the dominant humanoids of the SW galaxy". :roll:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Uhhh ok? That is dumb.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Of course, because Vader never had any other canon incidence of surgical cybernetic modification, right? :bangwall:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

This is the same idiot who decided that since there was a Connie in a museum, the Connie secondary hull at Wolf 359 must be from a completely different class we've never seen before or since that just happens to look identical. Gross stupidity is his speciality..
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'm taking it that is guy is the village idiot from whatever forum you are talking about?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

He was banned from the one where he gained most notoriety years ago, although he's still mentioned occasionally as an example of how not to conduct a debate. As for the other one, where he started spouting off the idiocy about the Connie, he's not officially banned but I think he stomped off in a huff after his stupidity was ripped apart and the mods took a dim view of his antics. You might have heard of that last one actually - it's called the Daystrom Institute Technical Library. :wink:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Never heard that forum before? Is it good?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Never heard that forum before? Is it good?
It's fair, but the mods are assholes. ;)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Never heard that forum before? Is it good?
It's fair, but the mods are assholes. ;)
Says a mod :D
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hey, I'm a nice guy!

Nice guy offer only valid in Texas on the following dates: July 6th, August 29th, and December 22nd.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939