Is this really necessary?

alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Is this really necessary?

Post by alexmann »

McAvoy wrote:Probably. I don't remember how it went down. I may look it up later.
The looking it up later bit.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I meant I am going to go read a wiki on it or something.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

OK, Go for it!
ImageImage
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

If I remember correctly they settled for a decent amount of money and went on their way.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

$2 million, IIRC.

Reverse Darwinism. Reward stupidity, punish common sense. Yay modern society!
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

What the hell is wrong with people lately?
ImageImage
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Lately? Ha! There has always been many things wrong with people, it's just in this day and age we have far more people to have things wrong with them and an ability to share information that is magnitudes beyond anything that existed for the majority of human civilization. People only seem worse because of greater numbers and the ease in learning about the outrageous things they do. I assure you, the common man is the same as he's always been.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

At least 100 years ago, the majority of truly stupid people weren't rewarded for their idiocy.

"Look ma! I'ma catch this rattler with mah bare hands!"

"OW!"

...and death.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:At least 100 years ago, the majority of truly stupid people weren't rewarded for their idiocy.

"Look ma! I'ma catch this rattler with mah bare hands!"

"OW!"

...and death.
To be fair, the majority of stupid people still aren't. Which is why it still counts as news when some fuckwit jumps off a dock, paralysis himself, and then sues the dock owner and wins. Most cases where someone was a legitimate dumbass and got hurt for it, get nothing but a court and lawyer fee for their trouble.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's the news really that makes it look like that. Like you said Lighthawk majority of the cases are dismissed and obviously the news will not cover it.

As far as people doing stupid things are concerned like Jackass it's more of a free time thing. Doubtful many people did stupid things 100 years ago when they had to work 60+ hour work weeks to get food on the table.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

True. Also, to a certain extent, we as a species have "conquered" natural selection. Is an individual's eyesight worse than the norm? NP - get glasses, lenses, or LASIK. Born sickly, weak, or otherwise unable to cope with the same environmental pressures as the rest? NP - we have medical, prosthetic, and other technology and therapies to get past that. Just can't hunt or forage as well as the alphas? NP - just get over to the Piggly Wiggly and pick up all the meat you need.

I'm not saying that saving kids or helping the sick or disabled is bad, I'm just saying that it definitely affects the way that nature has thinned the heard for the entire history of ever. Back in the day, some guy jumps off the barn... well, if the fall didn't get him than the infection will, or the gangrene, or... Nowadays, we just patch him up and send him on his way to keep doing stupid shit AND pass along his stupid-shit-doing genome.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Possibly. It may explain a few states...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Easy... you're stationed south of the M-D line, no? :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yep. Virginia Beach unfornately.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:True. Also, to a certain extent, we as a species have "conquered" natural selection. Is an individual's eyesight worse than the norm? NP - get glasses, lenses, or LASIK. Born sickly, weak, or otherwise unable to cope with the same environmental pressures as the rest? NP - we have medical, prosthetic, and other technology and therapies to get past that. Just can't hunt or forage as well as the alphas? NP - just get over to the Piggly Wiggly and pick up all the meat you need.

I'm not saying that saving kids or helping the sick or disabled is bad, I'm just saying that it definitely affects the way that nature has thinned the heard for the entire history of ever. Back in the day, some guy jumps off the barn... well, if the fall didn't get him than the infection will, or the gangrene, or... Nowadays, we just patch him up and send him on his way to keep doing stupid shit AND pass along his stupid-shit-doing genome.
This is exactly my point. Only worded better.