Main page nits

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Main page nits

Post by Mithrandir »

I don't know wether this belongs in this section or if I should have opened up a new thread but:

This weeks poll asks for the worst science officer. While I can see why someone would see Data as science officer (he was not), the inclusion of TUVOK just isn't right. He was in charge of security, nothing else. Kim or Seven would be more appropriate, don't you think? :poke:
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mithrandir wrote:I don't know wether this belongs in this section or if I should have opened up a new thread but:

This weeks poll asks for the worst science officer. While I can see why someone would see Data as science officer (he was not), the inclusion of TUVOK just isn't right. He was in charge of security, nothing else. Kim or Seven would be more appropriate, don't you think? :poke:
He was the closest thing available. Kim wasn't science officer and Seven wasn't even a proper member of the crew. Anyhow it's close enough to the poll.
email, ergo spam
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:I don't know wether this belongs in this section or if I should have opened up a new thread but:

He was the closest thing available. Kim wasn't science officer and Seven wasn't even a proper member of the crew. Anyhow it's close enough to the poll.
As they didn't have a science officer (Ag least no named one which is strange as they were a science ship) wouldn't the ops officer have filled that role when necessary? That would have made Harry Kim the nearest.
ImageImage
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

alexmann wrote: As they didn't have a science officer (Ag least no named one which is strange as they were a science ship) wouldn't the ops officer have filled that role when necessary? That would have made Harry Kim the nearest.
I concur... You included Data after all and he wasn't science officer either, he was ops officer (like Ever-Ensign Harry). And as I recall of the first few seasons of VOY (before the introduction of Seven) it was always Harry who technobubbled about nebulae and wormholes and all the other interesting phenomena VOY investigated instead of going straight home... :mrgreen:

(Could be an idea for a future poll: "Who would you consider VOYs science officer?" :poke: )

By the way: Wasn't Ensign Wildman a science officer?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mithrandir wrote:By the way: Wasn't Ensign Wildman a science officer?
Indeed. In fact, if memory serves she was Voyager's official science officer. She was certainly the only science-branch officer other than the doctor I recall seeing on anything like a regular basis
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Forgot about Wildman. Good Point
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

She was patently, however, NOT a bridge officer or in any way a member of the senior staff - which seems to be an implied criterion of the poll.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:She was patently, however, NOT a bridge officer or in any way a member of the senior staff - which seems to be an implied criterion of the poll.
She was never senior staff, but she was a bridge officer on occasion - her first appearance in Elogium for example.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I don't think having a singular temporary assignment which requires work on the bridge makes on a "bridge officer" in this sense.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's staying the way it is, I'm not changing a poll in mid flow.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

In any event I think this is the wrong place to be having this discussion, and this:
Mithrandir wrote:Could be an idea for a future poll: "Who would you consider VOYs science officer?" :poke:
is too good an idea to just sit on. To the Voyager forum!
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

See you there.
ImageImage
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

IanKennedy wrote:It's staying the way it is, I'm not changing a poll in mid flow.
No, that would of course be nonsense. I only wanted to comment on it because poor Tuvok is in the lead and I suspect that some people (like me) have been voting that he performed worst as science officer because he was no science officer.

So...off to VOY-Forum I'll go! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mithrandir on Mon May 30, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I feel sorry for Tuvok!
ImageImage
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Another question: Is it the intention of the site owners that you can vote several times in a row at the weekly poll? It used to be restricted to one vote per ID, wasn't it?