Computer Security

Trek Books, Games and General chat
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Computer Security

Post by alexmann »

If and When a ship gets taken over surely the computer should be programmed to lock itself and all primary systems from used by unauthorised personel and possibly even disable environmental control to kill all invaders rather than simply cooperating?
ImageImage
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Computer Security

Post by alexmann »

For Example, when the Prometheus was taken over not only did the computer cooperate with the Romulans, but it locked out the com system and Environmental control from its own EMH!
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

This is Starfleet we're talking about - their computer security is notoriously lacking. You would, of course, expect sensitive areas of the ship to require swipe-and-pin, or similar, to access. You would not expect the main computer to run unknown alien code. You would not expect a warship's computer to have a remote access login function that can't be disabled. You would not expect a ship's systems to be so centralised that one decent hacker could shut the whole thing down, including small arms. Unfortunately we've seen all of this from the Feds. They should have chosen an OS with better security - any version of Windows, for example.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:This is Starfleet we're talking about - their computer security is notoriously lacking. You would, of course, expect sensitive areas of the ship to require swipe-and-pin, or similar, to access. You would not expect the main computer to run unknown alien code. You would not expect a warship's computer to have a remote access login function that can't be disabled. You would not expect a ship's systems to be so centralised that one decent hacker could shut the whole thing down, including small arms. Unfortunately we've seen all of this from the Feds. They should have chosen an OS with better security - any version of Windows, for example.
To be honest, windows is pretty bad. Even I could hack in.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

alexmann wrote:To be honest, windows is pretty bad. Even I could hack in.
Exactly my point.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Hell you probably wouldn't need to hack in, just ask the computer politely
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

alexmann wrote:Hell you probably wouldn't need to hack in, just ask the computer politely
On occasion you don't even need to do that much - on at least one occasion a couple of kids managed to get into main engineering with no computer intervention whatsoever.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Just Imagine one of them. "Computer, can you let me have a look inside the warp core"
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Fortunately the dilithium articulation frame is manually operated. It's probably got power assist, but you have to physically unlatch the thing to open it. Just as well, probably.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Good Idea. Hmmmmmm, I wonder what this Big Red Button does (If they still have buttons then)
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It ties up the bulk of the computer's capacity in an effort to make tea.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:It ties up the bulk of the computer's capacity in an effort to make tea.
Rather than something almost (but not quite) entirely unlike tea? Hmm. When did Picard start drinking Earl Grey, and is there a correlation with the more egregious examples of poor computer security?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Lol

As far as early TNG I highly doubt the writers knew enough of computers back then to represent 24th century computers. I really can't fault them for that. But basic security issues could have been resolved as mentioned above.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

The computers back then were probably more secure!
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

No wide spread internet back in 1987 so hardly any viruses so yeah I guess.

There is a huge difference between common knowledge of computers back during TNG's time and today. Not trying to defend it, just saying.

Then again modern sci fi shows like Stargate has similar issues. Earth, Wraith, Ancient Asurans, Goa'uld technology has similar issues with computers.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"