ST vs B5 Vid

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Jim wrote:
Rochey wrote:Yeah, it's generaly not a great idea to be thinking about who would really win when you watch those videos. Though this one seemed fairly neutral to both sides, with Starfleet and the EA taking seemingly heavy losses on both sides.
It seemed like the only thing that was never destroyed was B5 itself. Otherwise, it seemded like both sides were not disrespected. I would liek to have seem some Whitestar vs Defiants.

The only thing I notice missing would be shields on the Trek ships.
Those were disabled by the trip throught that...wormhole or whatever it was they went through to reach the B5 fleet.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Jim wrote:
Rochey wrote:Yeah, it's generaly not a great idea to be thinking about who would really win when you watch those videos. Though this one seemed fairly neutral to both sides, with Starfleet and the EA taking seemingly heavy losses on both sides.
It seemed like the only thing that was never destroyed was B5 itself. Otherwise, it seemded like both sides were not disrespected. I would liek to have seem some Whitestar vs Defiants.

There were Whitestars. And Defiants. They took each other on. A pair of whitestars pummelled the hell out of a Galaxy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, some background on the vid is in order, I think.
The video itself is made using footage from a fan-made film called Star Wreck. The film was made by a bunch of friends in Finland, and can be downloaded for free from their site. I downloaded it, myself, yesterday and it is well worth a look. Quite funny at times, and very profesionaly done.

The shields were disabled by the same wormhole that the Trek fleet used to get to the B5-verse.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes i downloaded that on Saturday. Very convincing special effects.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, very good. Those guys put million-dolar-budget films to shame, at some points.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Rochey wrote:Okay, some background on the vid is in order, I think.
The video itself is made using footage from a fan-made film called Star Wreck. The film was made by a bunch of friends in Finland, and can be downloaded for free from their site. I downloaded it, myself, yesterday and it is well worth a look. Quite funny at times, and very profesionaly done.
This is more or less what I said on page one, but no one seems to have noticed. :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh....sorry about that.

Congrats on the promotion, Lieutenant. :)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes, congratulations Jordanis :)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Reliant121 wrote:
Jim wrote:

There were Whitestars. And Defiants. They took each other on. A pair of whitestars pummelled the hell out of a Galaxy.
I meant that both the Defiants and Whitestars have near fighter mobility. I would like to have seen a couple pure dogfights between the two.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It would have been good. There where shots with 'em firing on each other but the main concentration was on larger capital ships.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Rochey wrote:Uh....sorry about that.

Congrats on the promotion, Lieutenant. :)
You're 100 posts late. :P Congrats on proving there's something above Captain, though.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jordanis wrote:You're 100 posts late. :P Congrats on proving there's something above Captain, though.
I was starting to wonder that myself.

To be pedantic, 1-star is a Commodore in most rank systems ,except the US, where it's Rear Admiral, Lower Half (based on seniority). We'll have to see what happens when Rochey reaches 2-star.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Jordanis wrote:You're 100 posts late.
Whoops.....

Thanks. :)
Seafort wrote: We'll have to see what happens when Rochey reaches 2-stars.
Give me a couple days. :wink:
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Rochey wrote:
Jordanis wrote:You're 100 posts late.
Whoops.....

Thanks. :)
Seafort wrote: We'll have to see what happens when Rochey reaches 2-stars.
Give me a couple days. :wink:
I'm guessing it's at 8000, myself, so a bit less than 200 days at your posting rate. :P

As for the commodore business, TNG doesn't have Commodore either. Three-pip admirals are all just 'Admiral', which means two-pips is Vice and one-pip is Rear. Somewhere around here I have a five-pip collar insignia, however. 8)

Whether or not it's prudent to have so few flag ranks is another question (It's not).

Also, is there someplace that outlines the rank structure here? So far as I can tell it's

200 - Lt JG
400 - Lt
800 - Lt Commander
1200 - Commander
1800/2000? - Captain.
4000 - Rear Admiral

I keep missing when people get promoted.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jordanis wrote:As for the commodore business, TNG doesn't have Commodore either. Three-pip admirals are all just 'Admiral', which means two-pips is Vice and one-pip is Rear. Somewhere around here I have a five-pip collar insignia, however. 8)

Whether or not it's prudent to have so few flag ranks is another question (It's not).
We've never seen a 1-star flag officer in TNG, and all flag officers we do see are (correctly) addressed as "Admiral" regardless of their specific rank. We know, however, that Starfleet did have Commodores at one point, and since the number of ranks in a given organisation would tend to increase as the organisation expanded in order to cope with the increased subdivision required, it's highly unlikely that the rank would disappear - as you point out.
Also, is there someplace that outlines the rank structure here? So far as I can tell it's

200 - Lt JG
400 - Lt
800 - Lt Commander
1200 - Commander
1800/2000? - Captain.
4000 - Rear Admiral

I keep missing when people get promoted.
That's about it. Captaincy is 1800 posts rather than 2k.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.