SFDebris The Outrageous Okona

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

SFDebris The Outrageous Okona

Post by Sonic Glitch »

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SFDebris The Outrageous Okona

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I really don't get the level of hate.

I know it wasn't a good episode by any stretch... not even a "standard" one for that matter.

But seriously... worse than Shades of Grey? Worse than The Royale? Worse than Threshold?

I just don't get it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I'm sort of with you Graham, I mean it was a terrible episode, but it was just humor, failed humor, but it wasn't anything that was actually meant to mean something and just failed miserably at it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I'm sorry, but Okona is worse than Pulaski? Really? At least we only had to suffer through 47 minutes minus the 'B' plot on Okona, and he never returned. It took a whole season to get Pulaski off the ship...

I will admit, it is the MOST unfunny episode I've seen in which humor was expected of any of the Start Trek Incarnations...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think it can be understood. While Threshold, Royale, Shades of Grey etc. tried to tell a story and it sucked for one reason or another Okana was supposed to be carried by the comedy and even at the time it was broadcast the thing wasn't funny. In fact it was painful to watch. Royale was boring, Shades of Grey is a clip show, and Threshold is stupid but at no point did I wince during them as often as the "comedy" in this one.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I dunno. Yes, the jokes fell flat but I didn't feel overly insulted by it. And Data trying humor was kinda interesting.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Indeed. It was bad, certainly, but no worse than bog-standard bad.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I remember watching this ep as a kid thinking that it must be adult humor because as an elementary schooler... I changed the channel to Married with Children.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yes, this was both bad and trite... but nowhere near the depths of badness which entombed eps like "Threshold, Shades of Grey," et.al. And the Okona - Pulaski comparison is way off. Methinks C. S. is still bitter over the CBS/Youtube decision.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tyyr wrote:I think it can be understood. While Threshold, Royale, Shades of Grey etc. tried to tell a story and it sucked for one reason or another Okana was supposed to be carried by the comedy and even at the time it was broadcast the thing wasn't funny. In fact it was painful to watch. Royale was boring, Shades of Grey is a clip show, and Threshold is stupid but at no point did I wince during them as often as the "comedy" in this one.
Maybe that's the difference... I never looked at it as an episode that was meant to be carried by the comedy. To me this was an episode meant to be about what is funny, not an episode that was meant to be funny.

To my mind the story was about Data trying and failing to be human. The fact that it was comedy he was exploring was incidental. I liked the pathos of it - so often we are given a plotline where Data succeeds in mastering some aspect of his being human quest, I rather enjoyed seeing him reach a hard limit and have to admit failure. If anything, it's a tragedy not a comedy.

And in the other plot, it was about Picard having to deal with a situation where he's in a position of overwhelming strength, yet unable to use that strength. Kinda boring and silly, I thought.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, I rather liked Data's plot in this one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good points, GK. I never saw this as a comedic episode - rather, one in which comedy was a superficial aspect of the plot. The point of the Data subplot was, as you say, not the jokes but his effort in trying and failing to understand a facet of humanity.

The overarching plot was a hackneyed (and poorly done) rehash of the old R&J theme, which made the ep bad but not "Threshold" depths of abysmal.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:I remember watching this ep as a kid thinking that it must be adult humor because as an elementary schooler... I changed the channel to Married with Children.
Ahhh... yes Married with Children. I still find it amusing.

Never liked the episode and definitely ranks on the bottom ten IMO.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"