Prequels - Why Did the Separatists Seperate?

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Prequels - Why Did the Separatists Seperate?

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, simple question. Why were the Separatists separating? Don't go all EU on me. From the movies why are the Separatists separating? I looked back and I cannot remember anything from the films that gave a concrete explanation for why they started a rebellion against the Republic. They just seemed to up and do it.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Prequels - Why Did the Separatists Seperate?

Post by stitch626 »

Well, in the clone wars series (if you want to count that), many planets felt that the Republic was not assisting them, and was corrupt. This may have lead to them leaving the Reps, maybe.

Though, how they managed to do it all at once and as a unified force, I have no clue.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Ok, simple question. Why were the Separatists separating? Don't go all EU on me. From the movies why are the Separatists separating? I looked back and I cannot remember anything from the films that gave a concrete explanation for why they started a rebellion against the Republic. They just seemed to up and do it.
I believe RedLetterMedia and Mr. Harvey Plinkett put it best, "PALPATINES BEHIND IT ALL!"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

stitch626 wrote:Well, in the clone wars series (if you want to count that), many planets felt that the Republic was not assisting them, and was corrupt. This may have lead to them leaving the Reps, maybe.

Though, how they managed to do it all at once and as a unified force, I have no clue.
I'd discount it. I'm mostly interested in the flims and AotC was released in 2002 and the Separatist rebellion was a key element of both it and Revenge of the Sith, and... I don't recall them ever explaining why. And the Clone Wars cartoon does offer some explanations but in those cases the Republic wasn't offering aid during the war. It doesn't speak to why the war began to begin with.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic seems to have the right of it. I'm into the EU to the extent of "not at all," and judging by how deep Palpy was with the Nemoidians it's pretty safe to say that he instigated the whole thing in order to engineer his coup of the Senate.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:Sonic seems to have the right of it. I'm into the EU to the extent of "not at all," and judging by how deep Palpy was with the Nemoidians it's pretty safe to say that he instigated the whole thing in order to engineer his coup of the Senate.
The fundamental problem with the prequels is that they make no sense at all from the very outset. Why are they launching a blockade to protest being taxed? Particularly when the title of the group doing it (Trade Federation) makes you think that a far more logical response would be for them to simply go on strike which would acheive the same impact without much risk at all, assuming their goal was to make someone lift the taxation.

Even if you read the EU version of these events it does not really make much sense as far as what exactly they were hoping to accomplish. It is not surprising that all the events that arise from this also don't make a lot of sense.

For the most part the movies don't even try to explain what is going on. It just is happening and you need to accept it no matter how little sense it makes.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SW I-III pretty much require zero brain power while watching. Its the only way to enjoy them short of speaking a different language then its being presented in.

As for the OP. I'd place a safe bet that Palp convinced them they could take power on their own rather then having to bow to the will of the Republic... so why pay taxes at all.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

BigJKU316 wrote: Why are they launching a blockade to protest being taxed? Particularly when the title of the group doing it (Trade Federation) makes you think that a far more logical response would be for them to simply go on strike which would acheive the same impact without much risk at all, assuming their goal was to make someone lift the taxation.
I thought, without going into the EU, (simply because I've never watched/listened to/ or read any of it (Or, at least any of it that's relevant)), that they did it mainly because Palapatine told them to.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Seems like it. Ostensibly, there was some sham trade agreement or treaty that the Federation was attempting to force Naboo to sign... but I can't imagine how much more exclusivity the Trade Federation could have gotten than they already had... being, as JKU pointed out, the Trade Federation.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Of course Palpatine is behind it, but that's not sufficient. He's gotten a large chunk of the galaxy to turn their backs on the government that they have been apart of for millenia. He had to do more than send in Dooku to say, "Come on, you got something better to do?" They instigated a galaxy wide war involving trillions of sapient beings. There needs to be some fundamental reason for it in universe aside from "The big bad asked them to."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Of course Palpatine is behind it, but that's not sufficient. He's gotten a large chunk of the galaxy to turn their backs on the government that they have been apart of for millenia. He had to do more than send in Dooku to say, "Come on, you got something better to do?" They instigated a galaxy wide war involving trillions of sapient beings. There needs to be some fundamental reason for it in universe aside from "The big bad asked them to."
I do agree with you, but if you want to limit the discussion to the movies (which is fine with me since I'm not well-versed in the EU!), that's about all we get. I think Dooku tries to give the sell to Obi-Wan saying they know the Republic is corrupt/controlled. So I'd think their public reason was to fight against a corrupt system. Maybe.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's the point of the thread, what is the reason they secede per the movies? The result seems to be...

"Because that's the plot damn it!" -Lucas
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:That's the point of the thread, what is the reason they secede per the movies? The result seems to be...

The unfortunate reality seems to be: That's about it... :-/
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, that's about it. Lucas needed the Clone Wars, damn the reason!

I prefer my friend Kathy's fanfic to AOTC.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:That's the point of the thread, what is the reason they secede per the movies? The result seems to be...

Like I mentioned to Mark in the SW "Random Musings" thread... that is all there is, because the movies aren't meant to be essays in literacy. The main - read "only" - point is supposed to be the melodrama and the action. While that's not an IU reason, it does preclude the makers feeling the need for one.
as Bull offed Custer