Random Musings

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Random Musings

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I prefer the trilogy myself and don't count in my book EU as canon. I have read enough EU to know that there will always be some random Sith showing up or a new superpower or some new rebellion showing up every few months for the Skywalkers and the Solos to fix despite currently they all in their seventies.
Personally I gave up on keeping up with the EU after struggling through the three books of utter boredom that was the Dark Nest trilogy. There are still enough decent authors around to keep an eye open for - Zahn, Allston, Stover and Luceno springing to mind. Plus Troy Denning of course, for producing among the best of the the NJO.

As for the Skywalkers and Solos, don't exaggerate. They're only in their early-to-mid sixties, in an era where they'd get their telegram from the Queen before their pension.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There are some gems in the EU, like the Thrawn trilogy, the X-wing books too. I count the YJK, even though they are young adult. But they're better than they have to be and for personal reasons, I love them so.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and some of the X-Wings novels as well.

I am currently reading one of the Fate of the Jedi novels and it's not too bad. But like I said apparently only Solos and Skywalkers can solve the galaxy's problems.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

FOTJ came after
Jaina killed her twin brother pretty much on her parents' and Uncle's orders.
So, yeah. I wanna feed Troy Denning to the Sharkticons. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Would you rather Darth Caedus be allowed to continue rampaging across the galaxy?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: So, yeah. I wanna feed Troy Denning to the Sharkticons. :)
So, he's Innocent then?
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:FOTJ came after
Jaina killed her twin brother pretty much on her parents' and Uncle's orders.
So, yeah. I wanna feed Troy Denning to the Sharkticons. :)
Problem is that whole series while it started off on a good start, it became pure shit. Different writers especially with Karen Traviss spewing her Mando crap about how Jaina is nothing without her lightsaber and needed some sort of special training with them. Basically wanked out the Mandos.

Jacen was written like pure crap too each writer doing something different that contradicts the previous book.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Would you rather Darth Caedus be allowed to continue rampaging across the galaxy?
I would rather this little thing called redemption. I would rather them give him basically the came chance they gave Kueller, Brakiss, Vader... hell, Luke offered Palpatine the chance to surrender in Dark Empire!

Of course, I would also prefer everything past the YJK to be an awful dream that never EVER happened, too.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is true. But like I said above they screwed up that series altogether.

I liked in the first book where Jacen looks into this good Sith that doesn't have all the evil baggage all the other Siths do. Eventually leads him to Dark Side thinking he can be just like that. But it went downhill after that real fast.

I was kind of hoping to just see Jacen embracing the Dark Side but doing nothing wrong and having the Jedi and perhaps the GA figure out what to do with him.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

They sent Jacen Solo to the Dark Side and had his sister kill him. By Troy Denning's own words, he wanted to see what would happen if Jacen went to the Dark Side. That's it. That's all the planning. All of it forced and contrived... I put more thought into my motherfucking FANFICS than he put into this series! :madashell: :madashell: :madashell: :bangwall: :bangwall: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hate Legacy of the Force. More than the NJO I hate it hate it HATE IT!
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Thats why I prefer the comics and such. Generally more thought out through a series of them.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If the books are believed, Jacen undergoes torture............then goes nuts, and turns to the dark side as a direct result of what he endured.

God, if ever there was, this would be the time for a time travel reset.

Did the history of the Jedi ever get explored? Like how the lightsaber came about, and how it became the standard weapon of the Jedi........and so forth?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yes, in a large number of Dark Horse comics.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:If the books are believed, Jacen undergoes torture............then goes nuts, and turns to the dark side as a direct result of what he endured.

God, if ever there was, this would be the time for a time travel reset.
You have no idea how many times I've made sure the Vong never happened and what not. In 'Gone Before', that was priority one for me. Okay, priority... five, maybe?