Random Musings

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Random Musings

Post by McAvoy »

Darth Bane is EU. The one created the Rule of Two. I think this was more of an extension on why there were only Darth Vader and the Emperor from the movies.

Again Darth Maul's apprenticeship was stated in the EU.

It has been suggested that Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Grevious represent aspects of Darth Vader. Maul as the young apprentice and hitman. Dooku as the trained Jedi turned Sith with twisted ideals. General Grevious for the mechanical nature of Vader.

Maul was suggested as a stop-gap for the time being until something better came along.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, at least I know I'm not going batshit for not knowing any of those names or ideas. All that seems to overly complicate the matter.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bane was also in the novelization of TPM.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Well, at least I know I'm not going batshit for not knowing any of those names or ideas. All that seems to overly complicate the matter.
Heh. If you think that's complicated never go anywhere near the SW EU. If you do you'll find all sorts of weird stuff, such as who was firing the DS II superlaser at Endor, why the Empire's luck suddenly changed at the climax of that battle, and just how crowded certain points in space and time can be.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tatooine. The ass-end of nowhere... and more important stuff happens there than Coruscant! :p ;) :lol: :laughroll:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Tatooine. The ass-end of nowhere... and more important stuff happens there than Coruscant! :p ;) :lol: :laughroll:
I was thinking in terms of the full scale fleet actions (ISDs, Mon Cals, etc) that allegedly preceded the opening scene of IV, the destruction of Alderaan and the Battle of Yavin (which apparently also involved a hell of a lot more snubfighters than the thirty-odd the DS picked up).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:If you think that's complicated never go anywhere near the SW EU.
I don't think that was ever an imminent possibility. Bear in mind that I'm over a decade older than you - I first saw TPM in theaters on my fifth birthday (itself a testament to the film's achievement, being that my birthday is in October and it was still running in theaters.) I don't want to hear about Luke's growth, brushes with the Dark Side, or installment as the whatever-the-hell of a new republic/empire/whatever. I want to remember SW as it was, with my archetypal melodramatic characters, with Han shooting first in the cantina, and with Leia and Luke conveniently forgetting completely, upon finding out about their status as brother and sister, about their rather involved kiss on Hoth.

Besides, any brush with the sort of unrefined sewage that Traviss spouts might just turn me into the next John Wayne Gacy.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:If you think that's complicated never go anywhere near the SW EU.
I don't think that was ever an imminent possibility. Bear in mind that I'm over a decade older than you - I first saw TPM in theaters on my fifth birthday (itself a testament to the film's achievement, being that my birthday is in October and it was still running in theaters.)
Actually, that makes you almost exactly a decade younger than me. :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I don't think that was ever an imminent possibility. Bear in mind that I'm over a decade older than you - I first saw TPM in theaters on my fifth birthday (itself a testament to the film's achievement, being that my birthday is in October and it was still running in theaters.)
Hmm. Your profile is rather generous, then. You do know that it has your age listed as 26, right?
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Hmm. Your profile is rather generous, then. You do know that it has your age listed as 26, right?
You reference TPM. Perhaps you mean ANH? or ESB? or ROTJ? ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Aw, sunavabitch. Of course I meant ANH. :bangwall:
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Aw, sunavabitch. Of course I meant ANH. :bangwall:
Indeed... Seeing TPM in theaters at age 5 would make you a few years younger than me :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That would only make you a year older than me!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Quite a bit less, in fact, given when your birthdays are.
Mikey wrote:Aw, sunavabitch. Of course I meant ANH. :bangwall:
:lol:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
I don't think that was ever an imminent possibility. Bear in mind that I'm over a decade older than you - I first saw TPM in theaters on my fifth birthday (itself a testament to the film's achievement, being that my birthday is in October and it was still running in theaters.) I don't want to hear about Luke's growth, brushes with the Dark Side, or installment as the whatever-the-hell of a new republic/empire/whatever. I want to remember SW as it was, with my archetypal melodramatic characters, with Han shooting first in the cantina, and with Leia and Luke conveniently forgetting completely, upon finding out about their status as brother and sister, about their rather involved kiss on Hoth.

Besides, any brush with the sort of unrefined sewage that Traviss spouts might just turn me into the next John Wayne Gacy.
I wouldn't worry about Traviss anymore. Just avoid any books she has written. Though the other writers are still doing cleanup.

I prefer the trilogy myself and don't count in my book EU as canon. I have read enough EU to know that there will always be some random Sith showing up or a new superpower or some new rebellion showing up every few months for the Skywalkers and the Solos to fix despite currently they all in their seventies.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"