Is it wrong to burn books?

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Is it wrong to burn books?

Post by Nickswitz »

I find it decently comfortable, as long as you move your hand every once in a while, it's not terribly comfortable, but it's not ridiculously uncomfortable either.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sounds to me like you guys need to work out more. :lol:

Seriously, though. I've lived without power for months before, and several days after hurricane Ike a few years back. Guess how handy an e-reader or iphone is if you can't charge it for three or four days?

If you guessed "not very", you win a cookie.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I use Ebooks because I simply don't have room for even a small collection of books. My room is overflowing with DVD's and stuff, half of them not mine, so I have NOWHERE to put a book. Instead of storing a book, I can use something which isn't just a book reader (I use an android tablet, 7 inch because its way more comfortable to hold than a big ass 10 incher) and can be used almost to replace a full computer if you use it right.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I like physical books, I feel there's a certain air of dignity in having small libary, or even just a bookshelf. That, and any sort of E-reader device is outside of my price range.
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I collect Navy history books. The simple reason is that no one has scanned or typed any of these books into a computer for a pdf file. Too many of them and most have been out of print for decades. I have books and magazines over 100 years old and I highly doubt anyone but the most avid collector would waste their time doing that.

I will never own any type of e-reader because I like the physical nature of the books. When I do research I usually have a dozen books in front of me at the same time and I write by hand taking notes on paper. Now technically you can do that through a computer, but i doubt an e-reader has that ability. But it comes down to what i said above, someone has to put those books some over 100 years old into pdf format or whatever the e-readers use.

EDIT: I once had a debate on which would be better: If a Bible became so worn down that you needed to replace it, how would you dispose of it? Burn it? Throw it away? Both seemed to be disrespectful in our eyes. Throwing a Bible away like garbage or burning the Bible.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

On the liking of books thing, a small anecdote I thought might amuse...

I mentioned to my parents today that the market seems to be shifting away from printed books and towards ebooks. They were both mildly upset at the idea as they like physical books. It got us talking, and I explained what a kindle was, and an iPad (these people are in their 70s... they have a computer and use it, but are not the most tech savvy). I actually ended up printing out a 1:1 scale picture of a kindle so they could hold it and see how big the screen was. Then I downloaded the kindle for Mac application and showed them how it worked, took them through some of the books you could find online for free, either legitimately or not.

By the end of it they were seriously considering buying a kindle. Last time they went to Australia on a trip, my mum hauled fifteen books out there. The thought of having thousands on a little gadget in her pocket...

This is not to say that they now think physical books are worthless or that others should think that. But it was an interesting demonstration of just how persuasive the advantages that ebooks do have can be. I think we are certainly heading for a time where books are like vinyl records... there will still people around who have them and use them because they like the particular properties of that medium, or for their historical or antique status, but it will be very much a niche market.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I totally get the convenience aspect of a kindle or "nook" (lol); I just hope they never stop printing hardcopies of new books, for a number of reasons.

I'm also not happy about the idea of entirely e-publishing any of my work.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

@ McAvoy - I imagine, though I'm not sure, that a fair number of faiths have some sort of ritual burning for Bibles. We all know what flag-burning represents... but when performed with the proper ceremony, burning is the only acceptable way of disposing of a worn national flag. In Judaism, because of the ephemeral nature of ink-and-paper or electronic media, there is a custom to not write the word "G-d."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I totally get the convenience aspect of a kindle or "nook" (lol); I just hope they never stop printing hardcopies of new books, for a number of reasons.

I'm also not happy about the idea of entirely e-publishing any of my work.
You may find this article of interest.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:@ McAvoy - I imagine, though I'm not sure, that a fair number of faiths have some sort of ritual burning for Bibles. We all know what flag-burning represents... but when performed with the proper ceremony, burning is the only acceptable way of disposing of a worn national flag. In Judaism, because of the ephemeral nature of ink-and-paper or electronic media, there is a custom to not write the word "G-d."
I figured that. I just don't know of the Bible burning ritual. Anyway the one Bible I have is barely used so almost newish...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:You may find this article of interest.
I did, in fact. Thanks. :)

If I make decent money from e sales, I can commission a few thousand paper copies myself from a printing house.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Condan1993 wrote:I like physical books, I feel there's a certain air of dignity in having small libary, or even just a bookshelf. That, and any sort of E-reader device is outside of my price range.
I concur.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Now... if only I could afford a bookshelf...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Now... if only I could afford a bookshelf...
Is there a Border's in your area? They're probably selling them fairly cheap ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I didn't know that. I know if you are willing to get the fake wood types, Walmart or similar stores have them. Personally I prefer the real wood kind. I have two cherry oak book shelves that cost $250 a piece. I think it's worth it. Always fix real wood, not so much on the fake ones.