Firefox 4?

colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Firefox 4?

Post by colmquinn »

Anyone else tried firefox 4 yet? I'm assuming some of you have because you're all pretty much early adopters here. Had it for a couple of days now and I'm enjoying it. I do find slightly faster access to pages and quicker startup or is it just me buying into the hype????

I like the new personalities (new skins) the for desktop, what you using ? (I'm using Cthulhu as if you had to guess :-) )
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Firefox 4?

Post by Lighthawk »

Didn't even know V4 was out yet till I saw this. Went and updated, I'll chime in after I play with it a bit.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I'm really enjoying it. The app tabs are great.

Not sure startup times are any better, though maybe that has to do with my computer. Perhaps I need more memory ?
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

LaughingCheese wrote:I'm really enjoying it. The app tabs are great.

Perhaps I need more memory ?
Ain't that always the problem with life :-)
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've played a bit with it since it was in beta. It's definitely faster at rendering (drawing) pages (though loading times also depend on your internet connection and the server of the page in question) and I like the more spacious new interface.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I've found loading DITL is quicker, then again could just be my wishful thinking. That said the lower the rank the cooler you are :-)
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

First impressions after the last 2 hours...I like it, it does seem faster and the display is less cluttered. I do find the menu layout a bit odd, but I see no issue getting used to it. I am a bit annoyed though that for some reason, they switched the "Open in new Tab" and "Open in new Window" options for when you right click a link. It seems a pointless change to make and it's lead to me repeatedly opening new windows instead of new tabs since I'm so used to Right Clicking and picking the second option without thinking about it. It's a minor thing, but still annoying, and more so for being such a pointless switch.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It's because most people like the first to be the more used one, and so they made it the first making it easier for people who like it being on top.
I personally like it, I too have been using it since BETA, although not that much, I like Chrome more still, but the speed boost is very nice, as I feel it a lot on my laptop. I also like the new design, I like more space for viewing.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Nickswitz wrote:It's because most people like the first to be the more used one, and so they made it the first making it easier for people who like it being on top.
I guess that makes some sense.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Lighthawk wrote:It seems a pointless change to make and it's lead to me repeatedly opening new windows instead of new tabs since I'm so used to Right Clicking and picking the second option without thinking about it.
Ahh, thats why that keeps happening to me.

What I really like about it is what I call "The firefox button" in the top left, it makes it feel alot more smooth, for lack of a better term.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I use it exclusively now, as chrome never seemed entirely stable running all the Java sights I've been on. I think Firefox combines the sleek and fast user interface you get from opera and the multitude of flash/Java compatabilities you'd get from IE.