Replace Troi with Guinan

The Next Generation
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Replace Troi with Guinan

Post by Tyyr »

Eh.

And coming from me that's saying something.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To be honest, because I'm so withheld on my thoughts, I would rather have Dr Crusher on the Bridge. At least she bothers to study up on other races and if something goes wrong it can be the CMO calling Sickbay and telling them what they need. To be honest the whole bridge crew needs a shift.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd have preferred an actual working bridge to the lounge they had.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Just be grateful Gene didn't get the coffee table he wanted.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, I fully realize that it could have been a lot worse.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If the GCS were purely a S&E ship it wouldn't bother me so much. The problem is that the Ent-D was deployed to every single trouble spot in the UFP.

Put Troi is the Captain's Office on a stripper pole. Guinan in the left chair, Crusher in the right, Riker up by Tactical to aid Worf/Yar and help coordinate the other stations and leave Picard free to handle whatever the ship as a whole needs to handle.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Deepcrush wrote:Tits.
Weren't that impressive IMO.

She did have a nice butt though.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Neither Crusher nor Troi had any business on the bridge during a crisis. If the ship's current mission involved some medical issue, then Crushe belongs there. TBH, I can't think of a scenario that would require Troi's presence, save something outlandish like targeting a Reman super-ship through magic telepathy - a scenario which would clearly be invented merely to try and find some use for her. Considering the fact that there were actual laboratories on the ship and an intercom, there probably didn't need to be a science station on the bridge either.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I wasn't convinced about her promotion either. If I recall rightly, she blew the Enterprise up about 15 times before she considered killing Geordie, and that was only after a huge hint from Riker.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Guinan in place of Troi?

Half the episodes would be half as long. ;)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Would this mean Troi would be tending bar?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Would this mean Troi would be tending bar?

Damn, now I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. Quick, get Han Solo on the phone! :lol:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Troi appears to be the only shrink on board - if she's on duty say 50 hours a week? That's not much time to divide amongst 1000 people. Wouldn't her time be better spent on counselling people, crew evaluations, researching alien cultures they were likely to encounter?
Not on your life. Have you seen her performance in The Loss? Without her ability to look inside people's heads she's utterly incompetent, suggesting an appalling lack of training, ability or both. She's best left on the bridge where she can do least damage.
Sadly, TNG is filled with incompetent people.

However, there is mention within that episode there are other shrinks onboard other than Troi. She may be the boss though which is sad. Which leads to me to the conclusion that she is on the bridge because she is an empath. You don't really see other counselors on the bridge taking other shifts. Just my opinion.

Guinan does a far better job as a counselor without having to say "I sense" in every sentence. She is far better written in this regard.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Guinan is several hundred years old and has enough experience to shut Q up. My guess is she'd be a better counselor then anyone in Starfleet.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Guinan is several hundred years old and has enough experience to shut Q up. My guess is she'd be a better counselor then anyone in Starfleet.
Boothby might be a close second.