What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I wasn't aware of Sinn Fein's continued prominence in politics
The Provos would never have been able to maintain their campaign as long as they did if they didn't have a solid core of supporters.
I find it somewhat intriguing - not to mention ironic - that Sinn Fein seems to have outgrown Gerry Adams.
I'm nowhere near an expert on the Troubles, but I suspect Adams outlived his usefulness - he was prominent during the negotiations that lead to power-sharing, but ultimately he was probably too high-profile for the UU or DUF to accept him as DFM (or he was too full of himself to accept the post). The real irony I find is in the way that McGuinness and Paisley developed such a good working relationship, to the extent that to see them together at public appearances you'd be forgiven for thinking they were good friends if you didn't know the history. Who knows, perhaps they were?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well the customary trip up to Essex is well underway. It will be good to see some relatives, many of which I have never met. My extensive mothers side is al congregating at my great aunts, meaning several pubs worth of alcohol will be disappearing fairly quickly. should be fun!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:Well the customary trip up to Essex is well underway. It will be good to see some relatives, many of which I have never met. My extensive mothers side is al congregating at my great aunts, meaning several pubs worth of alcohol will be disappearing fairly quickly. should be fun!
Does sound fun.

Party at Kieran's Aunt's house! :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Well the customary trip up to Essex is well underway. It will be good to see some relatives, many of which I have never met. My extensive mothers side is al congregating at my great aunts, meaning several pubs worth of alcohol will be disappearing fairly quickly. should be fun!
Does sound fun.

Party at Kieran's Aunt's house! :D
w00t! ;)

Went to work and didn't puke. Go, me!. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Are those occurrences which normally coincide for you?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Are those occurrences which normally coincide for you?
Normally, no. Way I've been feeling lately, maybe.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Urgh...I've never really had a proper hang over before, purely because alcohol doesn't fuss me masses and I don't generally enjoy it much.

Not fun. Driving home wasn't fun with it either, since dad decided to drive somewhat more aggressively than usual. Ever since he got that Focus he's turned from a 70 year old "christian motorist" into a petrol diesel head. I nearly threw up quite a few times.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Probably one of the reasons why I don't drink. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Urgh...I've never really had a proper hang over before, purely because alcohol doesn't fuss me masses and I don't generally enjoy it much.

Not fun. Driving home wasn't fun with it either, since dad decided to drive somewhat more aggressively than usual. Ever since he got that Focus he's turned from a 70 year old "christian motorist" into a petrol diesel head. I nearly threw up quite a few times.
*wipes tear* Ah, another rite of passage. I (sort of) remember the first dozen or so times I swore I'd never drink again.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Urgh...I've never really had a proper hang over before, purely because alcohol doesn't fuss me masses and I don't generally enjoy it much.

*wipes tear* Ah, another rite of passage. I (sort of) remember the first dozen or so times I swore I'd never drink again.
Like me and the first few times I swored I'd never procrastinate on a project again...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Sonic Glitch wrote: Like me and the first few times I swored I'd never procrastinate on a project again...
I swear I'm going to get around to stopping procrastinating, I'll just do it later.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:I don't know about the Republic, but SF is certainly an issue in NI, given that they're the second biggest party in the province, and McGuinness is Deputy First Minister. Adams seems to have faded away in terms of public awareness in the last few years, which is probably why he's headed south.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of Sinn Fein's continued prominence in politics, and I find it somewhat intriguing - not to mention ironic - that Sinn Fein seems to have outgrown Gerry Adams.
Down here Sinn Fein is seen as a perfectly legitimate political party, though they're obviously still tainted by association with the violence up north for most people. Still, they've always had some small representation in the government, and they're currently the only well-known political party in Ireland to have a Euroskeptic stance, which undoubtedly has earned them more than a few votes.

In any case, the results are in for the most part. Just 16 of the 166 seats left to be filled. Fianna Failure has been left with just 17 seats. Good riddance to the lot of them, I say. The Green Party, who had previously been in a coalition with FF, have been totaly wiped out, with no seats at all. Fine Gael (68) and Labour (35) are the big winners. We'll almost certainly end up with a coalition government of those two. Merkel, Cameron and Barosso have congratulated Enda Kenny (head of FG) by phone, according to RTE News. Sinn Féin also did well this year, more than doubling the amount of seats they held with 13.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I missed the show (I've been a bit tired lately and awards shows don't interest me much) but there was apparently a performance by a NYC public school choir (P.S. 22 of Staten Island) at the show. Though it's been about two decades since my time there, that was in fact where I went through grade school. Not having been there in some time, I don't know what's changed though I'm sure it's a lot -- but that increasingly famous choir is certainly something the school didn't have in my time there.

I do see the building often, as it's a few minutes from my home walking, and right across the street from my workplace.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

As of this afternoon, I am for the first time in a long while... unemployed. Today was my last day with the county schools and now I have to figure out what the hell to do!?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:As of this afternoon, I am for the first time in a long while... unemployed. Today was my last day with the county schools and now I have to figure out what the hell to do!?
:? Were you not operating under the teachers' CBA?

Oh, well - assuming your run there gave you a little monetary breathing room, take a couple of days to not think about it. Weather's going to take a bit of a downturn after today, so it might not be ideal to fish, hunt, or play a pickup game of ball; but it's always good weather for a couple of frosties and a little time to yourself.
as Bull offed Custer