How to: Starbase Updates

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

How to: Starbase Updates

Post by BigJKU316 »

Step 1: Decide which Starbase you wish to replace. You have 4 types, it will be one of those 4.

Step 2: Determine the current number of launchers and beam emitters on the station.

Step 3: Change those to equal your most powerful emitter and launcher.

Step 4: Figure your shield rating.

Type 374: 1.5 times your best ship
DS9: 3 times your best ship
Stardock: 10 times your best ship
Type 74: 25 times your best ship

Step 5: Figure your armor rating

Type 374: Your best ship
DS9: 2 times your best ship
Stardock: 4 times your best ship
Type 74: 6 times your best ship

This should let you generate a combat rating. Send all that information to me like you would with a starship you designed. It will be entered on your battle stats page for tracking purposes. Then you can update what you have. You must update all your stations of that type when you make the changes. Updates cost half of construction.

Type 374: 500,000
DS9: 500,000
Spacedock: 1.25 Million
Type 74: 3.5 Million

From then on any new stations you build of those types will be of the updated variety.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Re: How to: Starbase Updates

Post by BigJKU316 »

A tip, when designing ships in DITL just use pulse fire torps for everything. They are 1 round per second. Just figure out the total ROF you want in the ship or station and have that many pulse fire launchers to get the firepower rating. The sheet will figure out how many of your launchers this would take.

Also you will notice that for the increase you get the upgraded starbases are quite cheap. This is by design. IC they are not space limited so installing the kit is very simple. OOC this is designed to make systems more important to hold and tougher to take.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

These Rules stand for Beta as well
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

When you say, determine current number of launchers and beam emitters, these are the equivalent determined from the DITL assessment of station strengths?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Reliant121 wrote:When you say, determine current number of launchers and beam emitters, these are the equivalent determined from the DITL assessment of station strengths?
Yes, you can get launcher numbers on the calculator by just picking that station type. You will have to go to the specs page to get the number of emitters for phasers.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Is it possible to upgrade to a completely different station type? Say I have a DS9 type station, can I tear it down and rebuild a starbase? Also, do you think you could post the in-game distinction between the 4 types in this thread too?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Is it possible to upgrade to a completely different station type? Say I have a DS9 type station, can I tear it down and rebuild a starbase? Also, do you think you could post the in-game distinction between the 4 types in this thread too?
Yes, you do that by using the bases and army tab and building a new base of the type you want. When it gets done I replace what was there with the new type. One base per system.

Type 375- A limited starbase that can do repairs for a smallish number of ships (20-30). Limited Defensive Value. Can be used as a supply point and trade gateway.

DS 9 Type- A tactical starbase with more armament but no repair capability. Better defensive value. Can be used as supply point and trade gateway.

Stardock- Large starbase capable of repairing a large number of ships (50-100). Good defensive value. Can be used as supply point and trade gateway.

Type 74- Huge starbase capable of repairing and housing whole fleets (250-500). Highest defensive value. Can be used as supply point and trade gateway.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Another FYI on this and how it interacts with the fortification system.

Fortification in this sense mean other system based defenses. Its a way of lumping in all the other crap you might have in a system such as ground based phasers and launchers, runabouts/fighters, automated defense drones, minefields ect into one big number so that we don't have to track all of that.

Basically light fortification does nothing.

Medium increases you defense by half again its original rating.

Heavy increases your defense by double its original rating.

You can slide these numbers up and down every year as the game assumption is that such changes are quite easy. But this does increase your expense. A Type 74 equivilant will go from 150,000 maintenence cost to 300,000 if you put heavy fortifications in place. For the purpose of the game, at least in Alpha, it will be assumed that as part of the upgrades to a station you are upgrading your other fixed defenses as well. They will scale just like they did before.

I realize this makes attacking a heavily fortified Type 74 a near nightmare scenario. Consider first though that in the era we started a Type 74 by itself with no ruanbouts or other help had the firepower of about 1/10th of Starfleet as it existed and the fact that a station and its fortifications could have several million in firepower does not seem outlandish.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Slight Rule Clarification:

Because of the differeing sizes and levels of refit the different stations will have different refit times:

DS9/375: Take 3 months to refit
Spacedock: Takes 6 months to refit
Type 74: Takes 9 months to refit.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Suppose I wanted to design a completely new Starbase, from scratch. Should I use the normal R&D calculator from the ship design section?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

It is not allowed. Simply put the R&D calculator won't work right for it and I did not feel adding such a dedicated function would add a ton. The reason being that you already have a small general purpose station in the 375's, a defesne oriented station in the DS9, a larger all purpose station in space docks and a massive do everything and kick the snot out of reasonably sized fleets station in the Type 74.