Insultingly stupid movie physics

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Insultingly stupid movie physics

Post by Lighthawk »

The site

A rather interesting site for those of us who enjoy considering the science behind the things we see in movies, whether done well or poorly.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Insultingly stupid movie physics

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

One of the less obvious examples comes from Independence Day; the mother ship wouldn't need to expend any effort to eradicate the human infestation from Earth since the output from her engines which would have been needed to slow such a massive ship would have by itself devastated the Earth's surface!

Some things, particularly the well-known issue of sound in space, is just a necessary 'error' for the sake of movie drama; try to imagine Star Wars without the space "sounds" and it simply doesn't work.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

nBSG was also one of the only shows/movies to show a more accurate (if not entirely accurate) conception of maneuverability in space.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

One reason I loved Firefly from the beginning was the lack of sound in the first episode. It made the nerd in me smile.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

kostmayer wrote:Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.
nBSG did have sound in space. It was just muffled as though it was taking place underwater. Which I thought was a nice compromise.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.
nBSG did have sound in space. It was just muffled as though it was taking place underwater. Which I thought was a nice compromise.
I suspect test audiences didn't like the lack of sound. And wouldn't you still here things in the cockpit due to: 1. The cockpit being pressurized, and 2. Sound being transmitted by vibrations through the viper/ship frame itself?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Well, you would only hear sounds coming from within your own ship.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:Well, you would only hear sounds coming from within your own ship.
That's what I meant. Guess I didn't make that clear.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, but you wouldn't hear things like ships exploding, or rocketing past you.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You'd hear it if something impacted your hull.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It was B5 that first showed silent space battles. Any noises you heard there where part of the music.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

In its early series it did, but the SFX later developed to show weapon sounds. I've spent god knows how long watching them since christmas :lol:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

IanKennedy wrote:It was B5 that first showed silent space battles. Any noises you heard there where part of the music.
The ships behaved a little more like ships in space would as well, rather then flying round like aircraft.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've always been fond of starfury dogfights because of that.