Acceleration

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Acceleration

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

just for shits and giggles...

Ian's post about his wife's new car somehow struck an odd thought in me, so I fired up the ol' calculator. It had struck me that the big E going to warp must equate to one heck of a 0-62 mph time -- so I make a back of the envelope estimate (neglecting relativistic effects and just taking the speed of light at face value -- this is just for fun of course)

So, the speed of light is roughly 186,000 miles/second * 3600 sec/hour = 6.669 million miles per hour. Assume conservatively that going to warp 1, the speed of light takes the enterprise 2 seconds. That's 3.35 million miles/hour/sec acceleration. Or, 0-62 in 0.000000185 seconds. That'll put Ian's BMW in a very, very distant second place in a drag race. :mrgreen:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Acceleration

Post by Mikey »

True, but you can't put the top down on a GCS. :)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:True, but you can't put the top down on a GCS. :)
Well, the lack of atmosphere would be a bummer, yeah.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Nothing a few holoemitters on the Bridge wouldn't solve.

Hell, why not go the whole course and have a Highway projected on the screen in front of you and Greatest Rock Ballads 3 blasting out over the COMM system. And give the Captains chair a steering wheel and cup holder.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

kostmayer wrote:Nothing a few holoemitters on the Bridge wouldn't solve.

Hell, why not go the whole course and have a Highway projected on the screen in front of you and Greatest Rock Ballads 3 blasting out over the COMM system. And give the Captains chair a steering wheel and cup holder.
That sounds like one of those "You know you're a Starfleet redneck if..." jokes.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Better that than a day spa lounge for a bridge.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.