Giant Interstellar Space Amoeba Anybody

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Giant Interstellar Space Amoeba Anybody

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Hubble telescope zeroes in on green blob in space

This handout photo provided by NASA, taken April 12, 2010 by the Hubble Space Telescope, shows an unusual, ghostly green blob of gas appears to float AP –

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein, Ap Science Writer – Mon Jan 10, 9:22 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The Hubble Space Telescope got its first peek at a mysterious giant green blob in outer space and found that it's strangely alive. The bizarre glowing blob is giving birth to new stars, some only a couple million years old, in remote areas of the universe where stars don't normally form.

The blob of gas was first discovered by a Dutch school teacher in 2007 and is named Hanny's Voorwerp (HAN'-nee's-FOR'-vehrp). Voorwerp is Dutch for object.

NASA released the new Hubble photo Monday at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle.

Parts of the green blob are collapsing and the resulting pressure from that is creating the stars. The stellar nurseries are outside of a normal galaxy, which is usually where stars live.

That makes these "very lonely newborn stars" that are "in the middle of nowhere," said Bill Keel, the University of Alabama astronomer who examined the blob.

The blob is the size of our own Milky Way galaxy and it is 650 million light years away. Each light year is about 6 trillion miles.

The blob is mostly hydrogen gas swirling from a close encounter of two galaxies and it glows because it is illuminated by a quasar in one of the galaxies. A quasar is a bright object full of energy powered by a black hole.

The blob was discovered by elementary school teacher Hanny van Arkel, who was 24 at the time, as part of a worldwide Galaxy Zoo project where everyday people can look at archived star photographs to catalog new objects.

Van Arkel said when she first saw the odd object in 2007 it appeared blue and smaller. The Hubble photo provides a clear picture and better explanation for what is happening around the blob.

"It actually looked like a blue smudge," van Arkel told The Associated Press. "Now it looks like dancing frog in the sky because it's green." She says she can even see what passes for arms and eyes.

Since van Arkel's discovery, astronomers have looked for similar gas blobs and found 18 of them. But all of them are about half the size of Hanny's Voorwerp, Keel said.

___

Online:

Hubble Space Telescope: http://www.spacetelescope.org/

Galaxy Zoo project: http://www.galaxyzoo.org
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Giant Interstellar Space Amoeba Anybody

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sonic Glitch wrote:"It actually looked like a blue smudge," van Arkel told The Associated Press. "Now it looks like dancing frog in the sky because it's green." She concluded by adding, "this is some good sh*t!"
:wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:"It actually looked like a blue smudge," van Arkel told The Associated Press. "Now it looks like dancing frog in the sky because it's green." She concluded by adding, "this is some good sh*t!"
:wink:
:laughroll:
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That sounds pretty much perfect for the dutch. :P
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Apperently another milestone in our long-standing list of astronomy feats. Kuiper-belt, Oort-cloud, the LOFAR project, you name it. :)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It never fails. I watch Sci Fi and wonder to myself, "where do they come up with this shit"? Then I hear something like this, and start thinking the Sci Fi writers are coming up with more believable stuff.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I got the shuttle. Anyone else got the timed explosives? ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I got the shuttle. Anyone else got the timed explosives? ;)
My timer's being shipped to Voyager for their mission into the Badlands. It should arrive Tuesday (right after the medical staff and photon torpedos ;))
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I got the shuttle. Anyone else got the timed explosives? ;)
My timer's being shipped to Voyager for their mission into the Badlands. It should arrive Tuesday (right after the medical staff and photon torpedos ;))
Don't worry about the torps; Voyager's ammo is self-replicating.

On a more serious note, has anybody else noted how cool (and odd) it is to see this type of stellar nursery outside of a galaxy? Could this, in fact, be a look at how galaxies are born?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Don't worry about the torps; Voyager's ammo is self-replicating.

On a more serious note, has anybody else noted how cool (and odd) it is to see this type of stellar nursery outside of a galaxy? Could this, in fact, be a look at how galaxies are born?
Yeah, that would be pretty cool there.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was stargazing last night (had a beautiful orange full moon over the ocean last night) when I saw what looked like a star moving at a stately pace last night. Did we have any stellar phenomona last night?

I thought it may have been a satellite, but I don't know. A comet maybe?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

More than likely a satellite.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sounds like a satellite, maybe the ISS.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, if it's not flickering or twinkling and it keeps a steady pace, its a satellite.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer